S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Donromani's (soon to be) EPIC RS6 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUILD UPDATE

I left the camera at work yesterday so I couldn't take any pics, sorry. After talking to Prince again today we determined that I need the update fuel pump as well, so that will be coming in with the rest of the stuff.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Day Four - The audience begins to look bored

Based on Bentley I thought I had a good 3-4 pages to go until I could pull the engine - turns out most of those pages cover automatic trans. specific stuff (no, I don't read ahead) and so I had to stop because I currently have no crane and no safe way to support the engine during removal of the final bolts...
Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

tip stuff? like what? It's so easy. I should have read the manual maybe. lol
Old 09-16-2009, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

they call it the air generator or something? It's an alternator looking thing that seems to do some sort of assisting with the TIP gear shifting. 2 whole pages are devoted to removing that and the starter, which doesn't have to come off for the manual trans.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 10.98 or bust s4
Iam going to give yoiu some advice do not boost the car past 22psi or say bye bye to your stock rods.
After talking to Mike@WMS I will be running +/- 20 psi on my stock block setup. WMS has been doing RS6 setups for years.

OP, props to you for doing the work yourself.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

22psi seems to be the safe upper tolerance of a stock block without any other mechanical issues. I've been told its also a good idea to run silicon hoses at this boost level. I still expect a few sensors and so forth to die after the build is complete - just weeding out the weakest of the herd, that's how I prefer to look at it.

Thanks for the props man! I've been itching to pull the engine and really see what she's made of. In a way it's like undressing a beautiful woman for the first time, I wouldn't want Joe the mechanic doing that for me either.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Should be pretty badass when all said and done!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Secondary air injection?

Also the starter doesn't need to be removed. One of the bolts does though.. Hum this manual is sketchy.. very seketchy..
Old 09-17-2009, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
I suspect it's more of the tune. Most tuners really work hard to get the MAF readings just they way they want them. Thats why they typically want you to run there MAF, airbox and all that jazz. Changing the airbox from what thier software is designed to run on will likely cause negative results from the MAF readings varying slightly.
What I said was assuming that the tunes accommodate the hardware. I don't think there's any true "Off the Shelf" RS6 and bigger tunes, they're all pretty much custom, right? So that wasn't a factor for me when I made that comment. But you're right, if you mess with the MAF/Air readings stuff can become less than optimal.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tell me about dude! I've run into several instances when the manual is just plain wrong, and many more where something is left out.

For instance, when removing the A/C compressor it tells you to remove two bolts and then remove the compressor. OK, so I undo the bolts, grab the comp. and give it a pull - doesn't budge. So I grab the light and look around the comp. and what do I see but a third bolt on the rear! Not a biggie really, but just an example of the minor oversights in the instructions.

Keep in mind, Bentley just collected the official Audi repair guides, so these half-assed intructions are what Audi is sending their repair dept. at the dealerships.

Quick Reply: Donromani's (soon to be) EPIC RS6 thread