S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Donromani's (soon to be) EPIC RS6 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donromani
Tell me about dude! I've run into several instances when the manual is just plain wrong, and many more where something is left out.

For instance, when removing the A/C compressor it tells you to remove two bolts and then remove the compressor. OK, so I undo the bolts, grab the comp. and give it a pull - doesn't budge. So I grab the light and look around the comp. and what do I see but a third bolt on the rear! Not a biggie really, but just an example of the minor oversights in the instructions.

Keep in mind, Bentley just collected the official Audi repair guides, so these half-assed intructions are what Audi is sending their repair dept. at the dealerships.

Yeah. It's a bit silly. I just dove into it personally. Then used it for torque specs on a few of the parts that really mattered. This air generator is interesting to me. If it is what I think it is I just deleted it and my car shifts smoother than ever.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try to remember what they call that thing in the guide and post it. Or maybe I'll just scan the whole page in and put it up.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tell me about dude! I've run into several instances when the manual is just plain wrong, and many more where something is left out.

For instance, when removing the A/C compressor it tells you to remove two bolts and then remove the compressor. OK, so I undo the bolts, grab the comp. and give it a pull - doesn't budge. So I grab the light and look around the comp. and what do I see but a third bolt on the rear! Not a biggie really, but just an example of the minor oversights in the instructions.

Keep in mind, Bentley just collected the official Audi repair guides, so these half-assed intructions are what Audi is sending their repair dept. at the dealerships.
Yeah I ran into that AC compressor whatnot but it took me forever to figure out the 3rd bolt because the writeup that I was using had it wrong as well ha
Old 09-18-2009, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Flange Bolts

Anybody got any advice for removing the flange bolts that hold the transmission and engine together?

The top ones are a b1tch in their own right, but I'll get them eventually - but there are two on the bottom, the ones that need the allen key or something are fvcking ridiculous! They face in the opposite direction of the other bolts and are basically impossible to get at thanks to that part of the frame that runs across the width of the car right after the oil pan.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anybody got any advice for removing the flange bolts that hold the transmission and engine together?

The top ones are a b1tch in their own right, but I'll get them eventually - but there are two on the bottom, the ones that need the allen key or something are fvcking ridiculous! They face in the opposite direction of the other bolts and are basically impossible to get at thanks to that part of the frame that runs across the width of the car right after the oil pan.
I believe Bentley explicitly tells to drop rear subframe by 5" when removing the tranny. That would probably move it out of the way.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm not removing the tranny though, but I considered doing this to get at them. Lifting the tranny would do the trick too.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Why not just pull the motor and trans at the same time? it's much easier.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to start a new tangent here so that I don't have to switch to linear view to reply. Don, next update here please...
Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by wdbdy2000s4
Why not just pull the motor and trans at the same time? it's much easier.
Considered that too, but discarded it mostly because practically all of the axle bolts on the passenger side are badly stripped...I would need a compr. air-tool to get them out and I don't want to get sidetracked with that right now.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Might want to give JHM or VAST a call. I understand that you can pry down the subframe and with a few custom allens tools you can get the bolts out, but I didn't go this route when I did my clutch. Frankly I just just couldn't see how to get to them and it was a good excuse to do more work.

Quick Reply: Donromani's (soon to be) EPIC RS6 thread