S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Dr. Jekyll goes over to the dark side... :-/

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honestly, the best way to do that is with a GPS...

A LASER gun is only only practical for getting speeds over a short distance. A GPS will allow you to look at speeds over a much longer period of time and compare them to what the car is reporting.

I've used GPS to do this many times. In fact, anytime I ger a new tyre size I will do this to make sure the speedo is accurate.

Stephen
Old 12-10-2005, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It was fun...

I just wish a cop had come along so that we could have nailed him for speeding. :-p

Stephen
Old 12-10-2005, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Probably not. :-/
Old 12-10-2005, 04:50 PM

Default The reason you couldn't get a speed reading was because he wasnt moving. Idiot.

;p
Old 12-10-2005, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default yep, that was my plan, but I keep forgetting my antenna in the S4 :o) One of these days I'll do it

as I previously noted here:<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/mk4/msgs/143.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/mk4/msgs/143.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 12-10-2005, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Porsche speedo "error" is 10% up to 100 km/h and then a flat 10 km/h to redline...

Of course, this is optimistic. :-p

My own checks have been confirmed by many others. Basically, all modern Porsche follow this formula. They are exceedingly accurate in this "error".

So these aren't errors at all. Germany's TUV requires that the speedo never be pessimistic (no matter the conditions of the tyres). So the German manufacturers make all speedos slightly optimistic.

When I saw how optimistic Porsche was making their speedo I considered this deceptive. It makes the cars appear faster than they are. And if the odometer is also optimistic it would be cheating the customer out of some of his warranty coverage and residual value on leases (though now I think the odometer is actually accurate). I found that there was an SAE paper which provided guidelines on what was reasonable. And guess what, PAG had their speedos set to exactly the most optimistic setting allowed by the SAE paper.

So basically, the manufacturers have got together and agreed among themselves that X amount of cheating on the speedo is ok. Because they all agree, that has become an industry standard. And so they in turn are able to cheat their speedos by the standard amount. What is especially galling is that with today's technology they are able to get their speeds accurate within a mile or two per hour yet some manufacturers still take full advantage of this fudge (Porsche takes the speed at each individual wheel, discounts the unreasonable speeds - due to spinning wheels for example - and uses the remaining data to computer the speed).

Some manufacturers use the full fudge factor and some don't. When I checked my Audi I found it accurate within a mile or two per hour. I'll bet your Audi is also accurate but your VW is not. If I'm right, you will find the VW varies by a percentage to 100 km/h and then a flat amount. :-)

Anyway, the moral of the story is that you cannot trust the speedo until you have checked it with a GPS and determined its error rate. Calculating 0-60 MPH on a Porsche speedo will actually yield a 0-54 MPH speed which could take almost half a second off the actual time!

Stephen
Old 12-10-2005, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hahaha, I was actually trying to get a speed reading on a deer in that picture :-p
Old 12-10-2005, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I've found my S4 speedometer to be more or less perfect at any speed with 225/40/18 tires.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2047004.phtml">Click!</a></li></ul>
Old 12-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Former Vendor

Stephen, please email me about the Blinder. TIA
Old 12-11-2005, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What's this, you lost my email address already? Oh, I feel so forgotten.. :-p

Quick Reply: Dr. Jekyll goes over to the dark side... :-/