S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Drivers door opens half way with one handle pull, fully open on second attempt.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drivers door opens half way with one handle pull, fully open on second attempt.

Any thoughts?

I haven't taken off the inside of the door yet to check the operation. I replaced a ballast today and figured I would call the car fixed for one day before before I say something is officially broken again.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weird...this _just_ started happening to me on the driver's side.

for me it's only intermittent, although i can make it do it every time if i try.

ill be following this thread.....
Old 04-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure if this is the same issue at all but here is what i ran into:

i went to open my drivers door from the inside last year and it made a snap and then mine was doing the same thing but only from the inside handle. I took it apart and found the broken piece in with the spring mechanism. I just removed the broken part and was going to order a replcement, but i found that after the broken spring assembely was out of the way, it worked perfect again. When i shut the door, the handle goes back in tight, but when the door is open, it has some slack. Something that ive decided i can live with and i forgot about until readin your post.

Anyway, good luck
Old 04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thats exactly how it is for me. A quick open and it sticks every time. and like 25-75% of the other time it sticks. (just starting happening, so I have limited data)

I also have the broken spring issue on the inside, never caused an issue getting out for me. Looks like I'll be spending easter alone this year... I'll take apart the door and try to figure this out for the both of us. If it's any thing like the handle's on a 2002 Impalla it should be an easy fix.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
Thats exactly how it is for me. A quick open and it sticks every time. and like 25-75% of the other time it sticks. (just starting happening, so I have limited data)

I also have the broken spring issue on the inside, never caused an issue getting out for me. Looks like I'll be spending easter alone this year... I'll take apart the door and try to figure this out for the both of us. If it's any thing like the handle's on a 2002 Impalla it should be an easy fix.
hah..yeah.. i have the inside handle that no longer snaps in tight as well.

i'm not gonna get a chance to look at it this weekend or anything, but i will at some point.

this would be an awesome place to post a link to how to remove the door panel without messing everything up..... (i'll go see if i can find one, but if you have one bookmarked..please post!)

thanks.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have same troubles, inside and out

I get the same thing on the outside getting in, worse when cold and the handle is a little slack on the inside too. I haven't been too bothered by it but if there is a post on how to disassemble the door to see inside that would be great.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The fix:

Originally Posted by complacentsee
Any thoughts?

I haven't taken off the inside of the door yet to check the operation. I replaced a ballast today and figured I would call the car fixed for one day before before I say something is officially broken again.

Lots of wd-40 into the lock mechanism. Lossens things up. Havent had to take teh lock apart.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just go nasty on the door latch?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I grabbed a can of spray lithium grease. I attacked from inside the latch section as well as into the lock.

I think that giving the latch section the most attention is best. I used quite a lot of the stuff...

At any rate, the problem is gone for me at the moment. -It's been good for over a year since.

Hope it helps.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I hate moving. I left all my spare parts, tools and stuff back there. I'll pick some up this weekend and give it a try.