S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

drivers side o2 sensor help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drivers side o2 sensor help

boy what a pita this is, after 2 hours of trying to remove this sucker no luck, i gave up and decided to post here, what tips can you give me? i have what looks like a thick hose, and a thick wiring harness right in front of this sensor, so i pried them apart and stuck my crows foot in after what seemed like 3 feet of socket extentions i couldnt get this thing to budge! im really frustrated as this has to be replaced to pass my emissions. after cut up hands and broken sockets i gave up. whats the easiest way to do this? remove the whole downpipe? even thats a pita. any help is greatly appricated, why audi would put those things right in front of that sensor is beyond me, the pass. side was cake. thanks alot
Matt
Old 04-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

is it made to come out from the top? or can it be reached from underneath somehow?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What sensor is in front of it? I'm trying to recall, I did both of them in a couple cars this passed summer. They are meant to come out from the top. You moved the coolant resevoir out of the way and there is a harness blocking it?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine from the top. Used an O2 sensor socket, and modified it so it could fit the larger audi harness through it... It was a real PITA, had to force my fingers to bend all sorts of ways there wernt supposed to. Needed a swivel and a few feet of extentions. One I head the socket and exentions in place and some one else had to work the wrench.

I dont remember there being a harness that was right in the way on the drivers said. Could it be the exhaust gas temp sender thats in your way?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

probally i dont know what it was, just 2 stiff hoses, i didnt bother tracing them to thier location as i was trying to get this done asap but i decided to stop b/c of being frustrated and i didnt want to break anything and make it worse, and yea i removed the coolant tank, that was the first thing i broke, stupid brittle plastic T, i replaced it with a brass one. i didnt have any swivel sockets but thats what i got to try again this weekend.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, it's not something you wanna rush through anymore. After 7-9 years most of the plastics are getting a bit brittle.

It takes a while to complete, with help it took me 4 hours. Just take your time.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

You quit too early. It took me like 3.5-4 hours to get that damn one.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

wow that long? it was raining really hard that day and my pants were freaking soaked from the knees up because of me leaning on the front bumper, that and the extreme underhood heat and contorting in ways only the russians are famillar with i got very frustrated and gave up cause i wanted to see what you guys said, ill try to get a pic of the "hoses" im talking about but my hands were so freaking cut up from this, i have done alot of audi o2 sensors, but none on this car, boy was i in for a treat :-)
thanks, im going to re-attempt this fri.
Matt
Old 04-06-2009, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I remember my hands looking like I lost a knife fight. You must have been getting close.

Best of luck to you on friday.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default emissions test

I had the O2 heat sensor failure code popped up too. I went to get my emissions test a few weeks ago and failed because of that. I cleared the codes and retook the test and passed. Something to consider next time.

Quick Reply: drivers side o2 sensor help