S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

dtc and stuttering help... desperately needing help. kinda LONG

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This works with things that have been done before...

Trying to avoid a circular discussion here... But if you're trying something new, as SHL seems to be doing here, you can't use the precise experience of others. You can just build upon sundried personal experiences and the experiences of others who are willing and able to share them with you.

If you don't have people around who can give you everything you may need, you have to wing it a bit. Any new substantial knowledge comes from making some sort of "leap of faith". This tough learning is best, IMO because it does result in truly new knowledge, but with sometimes significant expense.

...now back to our regularly scheduled technical discussion...
Old 07-09-2004, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not only that, the IAT's have got to be insane.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unfortunately I gotta agree..

But on a much cheaper level.. Ive broken a clip on my coilpack when changing out my plugs.. Foruntately no harm was done, but I learned my lesson to be careful with the plastic clips when removing them.. Also lost a few bolts before realizing it might be a good idea to throw everything in a plastic container when dismantling a car..
Old 07-10-2004, 12:48 AM

Default for all the skeptics below...

It was installed within 2 inches of the throttle body very close to stock position. A thick steel plate was cut to match the sensor shape. It was than welded on to the tube. 6mm holes were tapped accordingly to secure map sensor. It uses a o-ring seal, that I need a new one of since mine got pretty messed up in the building process. Where can i get one/what size?
Old 07-10-2004, 12:52 AM

Default wouldnt that be the too easy, hehe...

I have to move the map sensor bung to a slightly different location about 6" from the throttle body. I dont have enough room near it, so im placing it near the dipstick area where there is about an 1" of room for the connector to come through to the tube. I think it might be hard to picture.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:02 AM

Default havent seen anyone move the map sensor yet...

so I have to be pretty critical of its orientation to avoid possible problems. I am redoing my wiring, and going to go through everything once over to make sure all is well. Is there any way I can test the circuit of the map clamp to see if its working? possibly using a 9 volts battery, and seeing with a voltmeter if its truly clamping at a certain voltage?..hmm..
Old 07-10-2004, 01:05 AM

Default if you dont want to help in a positive way...

peace!

Im trying to complete a project. chime in with something useful amytime.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:11 AM

Default do you think where I will place it will read wrong?

I figure the difference in flow from the throttle body area to about 5 inches or so away from it shouldnt matter. This means it would be oriented so that it is the same way as stock in regards to flow. The straight section of the tubing which I a placing it on rather than a bend right before the throttle body should mean an even better reading. that is SHOULD...
If you have any tips on this, please share. This is what I will do, if I dont think of something otherwise.
To be honest, I dont see that it will make much of a difference.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:33 AM

Default The way the pipe comes up doesnt leave much room for...

anything else. The resonant frequencies you speak of, I dont know much about. I am pretty sure they are all off considering the flow of a single pipe is a lot different than two combining flows into the throttle body.
hmm..
Old 07-10-2004, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A couple things...

I don't think the MAP is the sole cause of your problems, if at all. At this point I'd make sure the throttle adaptation is completed and I'd VAG the car without and then with the clamp both at low boost levels. I'd also check for leaks in mani vacuum, (everything between the TB and intake ports).

I'd really like to see what you've done with the piping and sensor placement, feel free to EMail me the pic's if you don't want them posted here and I can give you a "no flames, no BS" evaluation offline. Without an overall view of what you've done on a very custom setup it's tough.

That being said, your placement of the MAP seems sound, 2" from the stock location should work acceptably well.

Otherwise, it's good to see new ideas... The hard part is making them work. Lets get this figured out.

Quick Reply: dtc and stuttering help... desperately needing help. kinda LONG