S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ECU Explorer connection quirk issue, any help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Explorer connection quirk issue, any help appreciated

I called APR but their ECUx Engineer is out right now, they are also still out of stock on their cables, here's my issue;

I can check my ecu for DTC's using ecux but when I ask it to log a group file it won't work. I hit start on the logging session and it waits for 15 seconds then a dialog box opens ( ecu acquisition) and it tells me "write to specified main failed" why would checking dtc's work fine but not logging ?

I have worked on this for hours but can't understand it. This same cable works fine with vag-com and lemmiwinks . I am using serial cable ( OBD Tool cable ) with a keyspan serial to usb converter connected to one of my usb ports. Do I need to run some of kind of serial emulator software on my usb port? I have tried using both the keypsan drivers as well as the APR USB drivers. But no go.

Any help is appreciated. I am running a Toshiba A-65 laptop running XP, 2.8Ghx chip with 700MB memory. I connected to the toshiba website and checked for driver updates.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have the correct property file associated?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default are you using stock ECU or other?

reason I ask is that I had to return ECU Explorer about a year ago because it wouldn't work with my AMS chip....went back and forth with AMS/APR but never got resolution.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd, 120 is the B5 if that is what you are doing. Sounds like this may be the issue...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:39 AM

Interesting, no, not stock ..chipped
Old 12-01-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Yes, I know for sure becuase it tells you at the bottom of the group file window

it says ecu properties associated is vag120.

Here's another twist, I am running M code on a H box. I tried both properties files for M code as well as H but no go. It looks like it is recognizing the ecu ( M code ) and I can check and clear dtc's but the logging won;t work. trying to figure out what the "write on specified main failure" means. Wonder if's go something to do with my ECU ?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

theres actually a different file for each ECU code. T-box is 122.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

very strange.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:56 AM

Default I remember Doc saying he couldn;t get his working and to use a

serial emulator driver or something to that affect on one of his USB ports. Not sure which one he used he never specified as far as I can tell.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Lower the baud rate way down to 10400

If your cable uses optoisolators, it may have problems at the higher baud rates. Also, always use the property file corresponding to the software that you are running on the ECU (ignore the hardware number.) So if you are running M code, use the M code properties file.

ECUX cables are out of stock and unfortunately probably will be until January. But there is good news. The reason they are out of stock is because there is a new cable design. This cable will be the one that will be designed to work with ECUX V2.0 which should be available sometime in the spring.

edit: the APR USB drivers won't work with the cable you are using. Your setup emulates a standard COM port. Assuming your emulator is setup properly (which it sounds like it is), just select the appropriate port in ECUX settings.

Brett
APR

Quick Reply: ECU Explorer connection quirk issue, any help appreciated