S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

EDL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! My car is eating power steering fluid and I smell oil burning. AAUGH!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 07:14 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! My car is eating power steering fluid and I smell oil burning. AAUGH!

So I get home and my dad has stopped with the motorhome halfway up the driveway(about 800 ft long) at the level spot. He is unhitching the towed Civic. He finishes and takes off to park the beast. So I decide I am not going to wait for him. I proceed to leave the gravel road and put one wheel in the ditch to get one side of the car up there to go around. Well as the front right wheel starts to go up the bank the rear tire goes over the ditch, the right rear goes nutz. Then I stop. Fvck! You can't be serious. I turn off the ESP hoping that will help a little. Nope. So I put the RPMs about 1200 and pulse, more like jerk along, until I could turn and the rear could catch the hill. Maybe I am just brain farting tonight, but I thought we were supposed to be able to climb/go with only one wheel getting traction, let alone 3. I know the EDL is taking power and all, but I would still expect to go better then I did.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got almost stuck once in similar conditions, still puzzled to this day...

Some wheels were turning, some were being controlled by EDL but not doing much, the car was not going anywhere.

It was not until I changed the angle that it limped out of there.
Should have taken video.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:42 AM

Default IMO Quattro is to blame

We have a 4wd system that relies on the brakes to shift the power away from the slipping wheel (left to right)(by applying the brakes to the wheel that is slipping) Audi does this to save money. I would much rather see our cars have limited slip differentials all around. This in my opinion would be a far better solution. I too had a similiar problem with the right two wheel in deep snow and the left two wheel on the road. The car just sort of spun its two right wheels and did not make much progress at all. I had to creep the car out by slipping the clutch.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:53 AM
Elder Member

Default EDL doesn't "cut power" ESP does. EDL is R/L by brake, the torsen diff does back/front

not sure what your situation was, hope that helps.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:04 AM
Elder Member

Default just my opinion...but if only one wheel is in the air as it seems, then

your EDL "should" brake that one corner...sending the power to the other corner. if that didn't work, and there is no torque felt my the torsen diff because one wheel has brakes on so the 50% power that is on the one wheel without the brake on slips, the torsen SHOULD sense that there is no torque "feedback" since one wheel is in the air, and one is slipping (keeping ESP on would have helpdd IMO), and thus send all the power to the front and that should have pulled you out. my opinoin, is you should get your TORSEN center diff checked out, b/c even in the failure of ESP and EDL, the mechanical torsen should have still sent the power to the fron and pulled you out. So, in conclusion...get your center diff checked out. this doesn't seem right theoretically anyways..
Old 02-14-2002, 10:50 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default I don't get it. I guess I need a better explanation of limited slip, but

it seems Audi basically performed limited slip with the sophisticated ABS system already present on the car. Why have pricey and weight adding limited slip with clutches that transfer power left to right when you can have the ABS system do basically the same thing? I mean this isn't an off-road designed vehicle. I think the current Quattro works brilliantly for what it was designed for. Perhaps a three Torsen system would be more for off-road, but then it is more pricey, and heavier.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You got it! Once it happens to you you wonder 'Best AWD in the world uh??"

The manual switch in previous models would work better, but I bet it gave dealers a headache with the people that forgot to turn it off for normal driving.

Regardless, if the 'cheapo' Subaru comes with them, why not the luxury brand too??
Old 02-15-2002, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

anyone try quaife LSD's? i heard they have some audi applications.