S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise

Hello All,

I own a 2001.0 S4 and recently had my timing belt changed. Not sure if it's related to the TB, but since then there is a knocking sound that's coming from the center part of the engine. It seems to sound sharper when the engine is cold and get slightly quieter as the engine warms up. The sound is the same when idling or driving. A Vag-Com of the car produced no fault codes and zero mis-fires. Any thoughts on this one? I have an MP3 of the engine sound if that would be helpful to anyone...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 08-18-2008, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is it like a metallic ticking that increases with engine RPM?

If so, it's probably your valve lifters and is harmless.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Is it like a metallic ticking that increases with engine RPM?

Nope, it's a failry dull knocking sound that doesn't change with RPM change.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default like marbles in the engine? or like a tapping sound?

marbles - water pump
tapping - valve train
Old 08-18-2008, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If it sounds like a diesel, it could be your timing belt if it wasn''t tensioned properly.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Re: If it sounds like a diesel, it could be your timing belt if it wasn''t tensioned properly.

Wouldn't that show up on the Vag-Com? It's saying the timing is solid. Diesel sound is a good way to describe it....
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Post the MP3, I'd be curious to hear it...

My timing belt damper failed this past weekend. I tore the front end of the engine apart and found a loose belt. Post the MP3 and I'll see if it sounds similar to what mine sounded like. It was a dieseling sound, along with the sound of the belt hitting the covers.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default some techs dont replace the tensioner ive fixed a bunch of timeing belt jobs..

that other techs dident sell the timeing belt tensioner with the job its hit or miss sometimes it will be find sometimes no i allways change it for that reason
Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Engine Noise

I had a similar problem not long ago after my timing belt service, it turned out to be the timing belt tensioner was faulty even though a new one was installed. The car made a continual diesel like noise as you described, may be something different but it sounds like you may have the same problem? The fact that you just had the timing belt changed its likely related to something done during that service
Old 08-18-2008, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was meaning a timing belt that someone didn't pop the sprockets on to equalize the tension.

It wouldn't necessarily cause an issue. It's just annoying. The timing belt won't fall off, it just means the belt tension isn't even all the way around the sprockets.<ul><li><a href="http://projectebola.typepad.com/photos/celeb_pictures/sprockets.jpg">Sprocket picture</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Engine Noise