S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

EPL....long ish

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPL....long ish

I am amazed.

FYI, I dont post much anymore due to work and personal stuff.... but this is worth a post and a half.

background, I went to EPL in march to get my new turbos tuned and I was greedy. I told Tony I wanted power. The car did 468whp and around 460ish in tourque with 93. i also paid for a race tuned and did incredible, 518whp and 580ish in tourque. BUT the motor let go. The rod just shattered. THIS SUCKED, I was torn, I wanted to blame EPL, but to be honest, I got greedy with power and wanted lots of it. How can I pursue Tony and have a judge tell me that how can I expect a stock 250hp motor do 2.5x its power. it wasnt tuning that killed the motor, it was the torque. Tony was great, he was depressed as much as me. Although its nothing to brag about, or even mention in the forums, i didnt want to hide any of the truths. He always said "I will help you as much as I can" and stood by his word.

Although I did not need any help in anything, I knew it was there. I got a new motor in, fresh turbos and called Tony up for a "fine tune" for my pump file. We set up today(because it took me a while to have the motivation back to work on the car).

Today.
Tony spent 10+ hours today, taking his time making sure everything was right. He gave me updates every freaking hour. We had an issue with my spark plugs and supplied them to me. DAP even left work early to join in the fun tuning the car. they explained everything to me before every step.

bottom line.
I wanted a super conservative tune, I cringed everytime he ripped it on the dyno, but was smooth every time. maybe I was just a little paranoid.

Im not happy with me for some of the issues, my clutch was slipping and found one of my turbo to manifold bolts coming loose loose, probably because of my Dps have no bushings, and it didnt help that the shop was 90 degrees. Nobody to blame, but pretty much myself.

I cant thank Tony and Dave enough for their time and dealing with ALL my concerns. For any of you guys looking for a tuner, i wouldn't look any further. These guys are just so great to deal with. And will help you every step of the way.

Numbers, at about 21 psi it hit 408ish on 93 octane. Once I get my issues resolved, and once the weather starts getting cooler, Ill be back up there for a slightly more aggressive tune.

regards chris

Ps. im slowly building a built motor and guess who is doing the tune for it.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Glad to here everything is working out now and that you're happy.

Sucks you had to be one of the ones to find the limit of the engine though. But I guess that's what happens when you push the platform. 580 wtrq is freakin insane! Hopefully when you get your built engine together you'll see that number again ;-)

I've had nothing but great experiances with EPL as well. Tony, Dave and Greg are amazing to work with. I can't thank them enough.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default if 408 on 93 in 90 degree heat is conservative, holy crap!!! that's very impressive

oh, and mad props to EPL
Old 08-27-2007, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default oh...props to gregg for being my psychiatrist..it really sucks...but **** happens

I just wanted a mild motor to last me before my fiance kills me. I have a block in line, and just need to start it. But I think Im going to enjoy the car for a little bit...

thankx a lot
chris
Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Where are those guys located?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ooh nice Chris......time for us to line up and run 8^)
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i dunno, but you HAD very nice black interior and rs4 reps.

=P

Default Now you see why street tuning > dyno tuning.

The dyno beats the car up and puts so much unnecessary stress on it.

While you exceeded the physical limits of the stock rods on the dyno, it could have been a different story on the street.
AudiWorld Senior Member

damn it...I knew you would call me out
Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

word !

Quick Reply: EPL....long ish