S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ESP Disable - I now have a case opened with AoA to try to figure out how to fully disable ESP

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP Disable - I now have a case opened with AoA to try to figure out how to fully disable ESP

I called my local dealership and talked to the head technician. He said he was aware that ESP doesn't completely disable when ESP is "off", but he wasn't privy to how to resolve the issue.

He suggested calling AoA customer relations. (800-822-2834). I called and spoke to a lovely Audi rep in Auburn Hills, MI. (she spoke fondly of her old 93 UrS4 - dark blue, one of 100 imported that year).

She said she'd get back to me within a week.

I'll keep you posted.

If I can't get any good info from AoA or the motherland, I'll end up putting a switch on the steering angle sensor....but I'd prefer to use a softcoding via vagcom.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Backstory: ESP 'helps' me into a spin at Limerock.

Monday, I headed up to LRP with the local Audi club (NEQ). I am on their instructor candidate program, and I was being observed by the head instructor. I ran through the 20 min session with the instructor group and showed him my abilities. He was fairly impressed and gave me some advice on areas of improvement as well (including new dampers...more on that later).

The sessions around the track were uneventful except for a clear demonstration on the dangers of disabled ESP on a B5 S4 and trailbraking. I think this issue is exaggerated by better braking, tires suspension, and HP. (The track junkies mods of choice). He seemed a little spooked by it..and I mentioned I was on a mission to fix it somehow.

After dropping him off, I noticed my run group was up next....double-sessions Yahoo!

So, I got back on the track. Tires/brakes were warm and I got through 90% of the session and while taking big bend, I was trailbraking and ESP starts playing with the brakes, completely hosing my steering and I was sent towards the edge of the track. Just before going off-track, the tires goc some bite and I launched back across the tarmac. I had quite a pucker moment when I looked out the passengers side window and I saw a parade of Germans finest coming at me. I managed to land on a soft bit of grass about a cars length from the track. I put in in 1st gear, waited for traffic to pass and got back on track. I took it easy on the following lap and pulled in for inspection/debriefing.

I have had the problem with ESP/trailbraking before, but it's getting worse as my experience and confidence increased.

Has anyone figured out how to truly disable ESP without disabling ABS?

I tried pulling the ESP/ABS module for one lap late in the day and I didn't care for the single wheel lockup.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:56 PM

good luck getting AoA to do anything for you
Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MY2000 FTW
Old 04-17-2008, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can't say I didn't try
Old 04-17-2008, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had a very similar experience at the Glen last year.

I was coming into turn 1, finished most of the braking in the braking zone, trail braked a bit through the turn, let off the rest of the way when all of a sudden ESP goes nuts (turned off at the time) and starts to apply brakes to the driver's side front wheel. It sent me to the outside of the turn and pretty unstable, but I managed to hold it together enough to stay on.

That's also almost the only place where there is room to go "off-road" at that track, but thankfully I didn't have to test it out.

I also feel like the more you push the limits of the car, mod wise, the more susceptible you are to this, but that's just a guess. Please keep me informed, but don't have enough confidence in AoA to think that it will lead to a resolution.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

word!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

word up, this is why I bought a 2000
Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Like I knew when I bought my M#2001.5 in late 2000......then again, I didn't get the F hose, Bosch

MAF, nor tiny oil lines either.

I still wish I got the Avant.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good luck with that Matt...

It was nice meeting you last weekend. Oh, my brake pads are coming today!! Just made it before we go to VIR. You going to make it to the Glen this summer??

Quick Reply: ESP Disable - I now have a case opened with AoA to try to figure out how to fully disable ESP