S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust opinions

I am thinking about an exhaust upgrade, but I am not really knowledgeable about exhaust selection.

I hear you guys talking, but I am not really sure I understand what makes one better than the other or more expensive.

I want something that is good for the car. Let's the engine breathe or whatever. Producing an nice tone, but more importantly improving performance.

Nothing too loud and definately nothing rice sounding.

I am not sure what the exhaust of choice for an S4 is, but I am interested in some opinions.

Thanks,
rf
Old 05-21-2001, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do a search, you'll find plenty of info. and opinions.
Old 05-21-2001, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah. .. .more than I can make sense out of . . .
Old 05-21-2001, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Okay, here's the deal:

There are 3 criteria for selecting an exhaust, in general:

1) Performance improvement
2) Looks
3) Sound

I think #1 is about the same with all exhausts. At least, close enough to be in the noise. Maybe the worst aftermarket exhaust gives you a 12 hp gain, and the best gives you 15 hp. I don't know the exact numbers, I'm pulling them out of my ****. My point is they're all pretty much the same.

On #2, it's completely subjective. I've loudly proclaimed many times that I think the Borla/Neuspeed/AWE looks like ***. Or something. Really I think of Roseanne Barr with horrid acne when I see those double nested, saggy, chrome tips. It is cheap though. Bottom line here, pick what you like looking at. I liked the MTM, I got it. Forge is now available and looks about the same for a lot less.

On #3, you need to pick for your sound level. Probably in order I'd say something like this, from loudest to quietest:

VM1/VM2/APR gen 1 (all about the same -- loud)
Borla/Scorpion/APR gen 2 (medium volume)
MTM/Forge/Supersprint (all pretty quiet but a deep tone)

In fact the VM1 and VM2 I thought were pretty nice inside the cabin -- they weren't droney like the APR gen 1. I haven't actually heard the Scorpion or Supersprint but I'm going on what I gather. I wanted something that I *could* hear inside the cabin, but that wasn't annoying. The MTM has a nice low growl to it that's definitely noticeable with the radio off. With the radio on, you can hardly hear it.

Better?

-B