S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

extended warranty question(s).. legalese help/opinions required

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good luck, they'll try to weasel out any way they can IME.

especially if this repair job would make their total payout more than your original warranty cost.

Whatever you do make sure all the proper parts are used, don't let the adjuster press for aftermarket stuff.

Again, good luck, the repair is the easy part :P
Old 12-29-2003, 04:23 PM

ditto Thanks, but would you go with this ext warranty again, if not, who are they?
Old 12-29-2003, 04:45 PM

Default I think after owning this car and having AW as a resource for information we are all going to be

certified Audi S4 mechanics.

Friends already think I'm weird to be in the garage with my front end off doing work and they say how much did you pay for this?

You got to love it.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:01 PM

Default I might. They still seem to be the lesser of evils unless you can get audi assured.

warrantybynet. They have good coverage, paid out more than I paid in, and didn't go bankrupt and leave me out in the cold like that other company would have.

A plus was them allowing me to add twin turbo + AWD coverage for no charge _after_ I blew a turbo. I bought coverage for an S4, but I guess they only knew it was a turbo, not twin or AWD. I had to wait 24 hours to make a claim, but it all worked. Wasn't my fault in any way, but they could have screwed me.

Leaky gaskets and seals are covered on their own, not just as part of a covered repair.

Cons:

Tried to initially blame infrequent oil changes for a missing turbo blade with no coking or bearing damage, even though I always did more than the recommended maintinance.

Slowest *** fax machine in the world, took ~3 hours to send in all of my cars service documentation and oil change reciepts.

Would only pay for one turbo not two.

Wouldn't pay for timing belt even though I was led to believe it would be covered.

Dragged their feet on paying the shop both times after repairs were complete. First time I had to float a few grand to get it out of hock. Second time the shop just let me take it, they know where I live and I think felt bad since it took so long. Probably didn't want it taking up lot space either. Makes me feel bad to put the shop through the freakin hassle.

Tried to have my tech commit fraud. "it'd be easier to authorize if it was broken, not just worn, could you break it before the inspector comes out?" Tech: "are you asking me to commit fraud?"

Wouldn't cover my dying instrument cluster even though the policy clearly says it is covered.

Wouldn't pay for inspection on the control arms.

If I had to do it again knowing what I know now, I would put the same cash in an interest bearing somewhat liquid account, and take my chances. In my case, parts plus special tools and my personal labor would have been cheaper overall and had about a month and a half less downtime IMO.

Nothing on this car is all that hard to do with the right tools, and things that might take 2 weeks to a month or more between normal shop delays and the warranty inspector can be done in one _long_ weekend.

If a motor pull is not within you(r) and/or your buddies capabilites, it's a much tougher choice. If you have a good shop, and a spare car, you might do well with the warranty. I paid $2100 something for 7 year 100,000 mile coverage, I thought I heard it was over $3000 now. I'm not sure I'd pay that much.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:14 PM

A day without the S or a new tool and dirty hands? I know which one I pick :P
Old 12-30-2003, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I havn't used mine yet...

but I would do it again, just for the peace of mind. I'm in Canuckland, and have a product called Secure Drive Elite, cost me $3200 Cdn for 7 years 100K miles. Covers everything, including seals and gaskets...

<a href="http://www.lgm.ca/drivecov.html">Secure Drive Covered Components</A>

It appears I'm covered on practically all components, but what I don't know about is what the service is like. According to my dealership (who steered me onto this plan) they are pretty fair, and decent. I'll just have to hope that is true.

As for the DIY model... while I am not a true DIY'er, I am quite mechanically inclined and have no real fear about doing things (just a respect). So I don't have the "proper" tools, and what I really lack is the time. I really bought the warranty for peace of mind, and as a way to grease the skids if I should ever decide to depart with The Bee.

Have a safe New Years, and thanks for all the discussion/input lads...

Earnie