S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Fighting tickets...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fighting tickets...

Whats everybody's take on this? I know sometime you get a ticket for the strangest and weakest reasons but is it worth to fight it, if the risk is not being able to go to traffic school if you lose?

My take is, the rules been set up that you pay the CHP or who ever gives you the ticket, one way or another. Either through school, or the ticket itself. Its up to the driver to choose the smart way (school) to save him/herself more in the long run on insurance.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default always fight tickets.

If they give you a ticket and dont show up in court, then they are wasting everybodys time. Happens all the time.If i was a judge, Id fine the cop for not showing up. I have had 7 tickets in the last 4 years (not counting the 7 i got at the same time on my bike) and not once did a cop show up in court. They were all dismissed. Good for me, but it really makes you think about the system. It is ridiculous.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:42 AM

Default So what if he shows up?

I just finished fighting a ticket via mail, and lost. I also thought "always fight a ticket" because there is no reason not to. But now I lost and have a ticket record on my insurance, I wonder if it was worth it. If I win, I get out of a $100 ticket + school. If I lose I pay the ticket and have a increased insurance rate.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default just weigh the possibilities, and fighting will always be better...

because the worst thing that can happen if you fight it and lose is you have to pay a small court fee like 10 or 15 bucks, but on the other hand the chance you might get the whole thing thrown out... bottom line is ALWAYS fight them.

BTW: My friend had a court appearance a few months ago over a ticket and the cop couldn't show up so he SENT HIS BUDDY IN PLACE OF HIM! And he still got the ticket! At least my friend tried.
Old 09-03-2001, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Even if you lose, you still get to ask for traffic school.. so WHY NOT?
Old 09-03-2001, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default in some courts you will be assessed a penalty is why not...

go to Torrance court, hope the cop doesn't show up THEN he does and you stand there wasting the judge's time and you can pay up to triple penalties for wasting the courts time.

You HAVE to have a reasonable case to fight a ticket, it has to be something that won't **** off the judge so when the cop DOES show up, you won't insult his intelligence...THEN he might give you a break.

I've won tickets, I've sat in court as EVERY SINGLE case came up and the cops weren't there...except for mine AND I've been there with ONLY my cop not showing up. Either way, you must be prepared to say something that makes sense.
Old 09-03-2001, 01:01 PM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default have you considered speaking w/ a lawyer knowledgable in your States Traffic laws?

yes, always fight it. but wouldn't it be better to know all you can before the big day comes?

then the chances of you getting burned during the court hearing would be greatly lessened.
Old 09-03-2001, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

because they almost don't exist in CA...and when they do..It's like $1500..all or nothing
Old 09-03-2001, 04:20 PM

Default So fight or not?

I just think the risk to too much. The risk is the cop showing up, and if he/she does you have no chance of winning. And if you fight you won't be able to go to traffic school.

Seems to me.. traffic school is just easier.
Old 09-03-2001, 04:20 PM

Do you?

Quick Reply: Fighting tickets...