S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

First Engine Pull

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Engine Pull

Decided to pull the engine for my first major repair to my S4. Clutch finally went out at 175k. Ordered a Stage 3 Vast clutch and LWFW from JH Motorsports after seeing many "plugs" for JHM.

Also decided to put on springs and shocks since I can't seem to keep tires wearing evenly after multiple dealer alignments (cupping and high wear on the outside of the tires on the front - rears seem fine) -- besides it seemed like the right time and the wife didn't say no. Also after seeing many "plugs" for Mike at PureMS and talking with him about the multiple issues I read about with different combinations, I ordered a set of Vogtland springs and Bilstein shocks. Springs were out of stock and it seems like several people have grown tired of how low the H&R springs put the car so, I d the next logical thing. Put up the extra dough for a set of Vogland CO's from Mike. Hopefully it will help with some of the push and yield a little extra camber.

So now the big question: Since I'm 1/3 of the way along pulling the engine/trans, any major maintenance I should take care of. Timing belts due in another 25k so I'll probably wait on that. How about the starter? alternator? power steering pump, radiator...etc.

Has anyone removed the AC fan when installing the high-flo SPS fan?

P.S. By the way. Thanks to all for the detailed reviews on everything especially clutches and spring/shocks. It certainly helped on the decision making process (or corrupting process which ever way you look at it).
Old 04-17-2009, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I say save yourself the time and do the TB now. Just go over all the seals I guess and unless other stuff is broken, dont replace it. Coolant afterrun pump might be a good idea though
Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Rear Main Oil Seal With Flange & Gasket ES

Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No. no. no

Originally Posted by MySTG3S4
Rear Main Oil Seal With Flange & Gasket ES

****, I can't believe my login still works. Audiworld blows chunks now.

Anyway, I'm feeling helpful. If the RMS is not leaking, DO NOT TOUCH IT. It's a seal that if you **** with, you'll regret it later if you have no experience of doing one. Cannot stress it enough. **** it up, you reinstall the motor, crank it, and oil pisses out. Pull the motor again.

RMS is not a maintenance item. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nigel (no more S4)
****, I can't believe my login still works. Audiworld blows chunks now.

Anyway, I'm feeling helpful. If the RMS is not leaking, DO NOT TOUCH IT. It's a seal that if you **** with, you'll regret it later if you have no experience of doing one. Cannot stress it enough. **** it up, you reinstall the motor, crank it, and oil pisses out. Pull the motor again.

RMS is not a maintenance item. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
This forum blanks **** now???

Ban me bitches, you IB ****'s destroyed this forum/community. You have alienated SOOOO many invaluable members.

Join QW world if you all want accurate and timely answers.

Audiworld (after 6 years of membership), can suck my hairy *****. You ****bags destroyed this community). ****, ****, ****, ****. enough?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:42 AM

Ban me bitches, you IB ****'s destroyed this forum/community. You have alienated SOOOO many invaluable members.

Audiworld (after 6 years of membership), can suck my hairy *****. You ****bags destroyed this community). ****, ****, ****, ****. enough?
i googled quattro world and only quattro-world.com came up which is all asian? i mean that's under the assumption qw=quattro world.. what forum r u referring to and whats the address? thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What is IB? Please to be explaining your rant....
Old 04-20-2009, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Try it without the hyphen
Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't do the rear main seal unless yours is leaking. You may want to check out your valve cover gaskets. They leak and are super easy to do with the motor out.