S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

first manual car, having some trouble upshifting from first to second, and downshifting altogether

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first manual car, having some trouble upshifting from first to second, and downshifting altogether

I just started driving my car, and it's the first manual I've ever owned. When I shift from first to second, the car jerks forward. I'm having trouble making it a smooth shift. Does anyone have any advice as far as techniques for upshifting?
Also, when I downshift, the car nosedives and I find myself leaning far in only to be thrown back when the gear is engaged. I tried engaging the cluth and matching the revs by pushing the gas, and it sorta worked, but I got the impression that I was doing something wrong. What is the proper technique for downshifting?

All responses are appreciated, Thanks.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:57 AM

Default Knowing what rpm's at what speeds in each gear helps to drive smoothly. ie....

if I'm doing 35 mph in 2nd..downshifting to 1st is going to be a little rocky.

You'll get it eventually, just takes time getting used to.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry to say but the S4 is the wrong car to practice stick...(more)

First of all, the stock suspension on the S4 is like riding on a boat, learning to drive stick on the S4 is like rowing a boat in a hurricane ; )

Wit that said. Its going to take a lot of practice to get the shifting correct. When you downshift, you want to rev match the RPM so you dont nosedive. I usually rev it higher that what its suppose to and let the clutch catch it. You want to memorize where the RPM is at what RPM at what gear, that will help you when you need to downshift. When you upshift, maybe you will need to add more gas before the clutch engage.

Give it sometime, you'll get it. Be careful not to grind the gears because the S4 tranny is very very costly to replace. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:10 AM

Default When upshifting, let up on the throttle a bit...

...when downshifting, after engaging the clutch, jab the throttle a bit to bring the RPMs up about 500rpm or so (experiment) before releasing it. It's a matter of timing.

When using the clutch, your foot should have a smooth motion pressing or releasing it - don't pop off the clutch. That should help with the upshifts, at least. Downshifts, the motion is a little faster, but still a smooth motion. Learn exactly where the engagement point of the cluth is in it's travel. Here's a little excersize - put it in first and try to get moving without using the gas at all.

With downshifting, don't try downshifting into 1st. The engine speed differential between gears is more in the lower gears (you'll have to bring the RPMs up more in lower gears), so practice with shifting between 3rd/4th, then move down to 2nd/3rd once you're comfortable with it. Don't be afraid to drop it into neutral at a stop when braking until you get the hang of it.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Sorry to say but the S4 is the wrong car to practice stick...(more)

when you rev higher, to try and match the revs, do you do so with the clutch engaged or disengaged? in other words, which way is right:
1. engage the clutch 2. shift into neutral 3. disengage the clutch 4. rev and then 5. drop it into gear
OR
1. engage the clutch 2. rev 3. drop into lower gear 4. disengage clutch
or are they both wrong?

damn, driving stick is a lot harder than it looks on TV, or in those BMW Films...
Old 09-01-2004, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default "Don't be afraid to drop it into neutral at a stop when braking until you get the hang of it."

That's how I do it 90% of the time. Downshifting just uses more gas and causes more tear (more use) IMO.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You chose a somewhat temperamental car and tranny to learn on, first of all. My advice would be to

only use 1st gear when taking off from a COMPLETE stop. If you are moving at all, use 2nd. Our tranny's synchros do not like to be rushed. Are you dpressing the clutch all the way when shifting? You want to shift quickly when upshifting, but not so fast as to beat the synchros. Also, try lifting the throttle all the way when shifting. Once you get better at it, you can leave a very slight amount of throttle input when upshifting and this helps smooth out the gearchange.

Downshifting is much more difficult to perform smoothly on this tranny. You must have the revs matched and then let out the clutch very smoothly and progressively; if you just drop your foot off the clutch the car will buck and jerk. I would recommend avoiding downshifting into 1st gear as you will cause much synchro wear when doing this.

The ECU on this car seems to not want the revs to stay high when the clutch pedal is not depressed, so this is why you may be having difficulty matching revs. Just remember than your goal should always be to shifht smoothly and with as little resistance on the gearshift lever as possible - the more resistance, the more wear and less the car likes it. It took me a while to get really smooth on the S4 and I have a lot of manual tranny experience. Also, NEVER try to shift without using the clutch on this tranny as you will do damage to the synchros. I will slip it into 1st as I am coming up to a stop sign; the rev match speed at idle is like 3 mph. If you don't do it just right, you will feel a jerk and improper meshing of the dog teeth and that means metrimental wear and tear on the tranny. Also, our clutches don't like to be slipped a lot, like say an old Camaro or Mustang or the like. This car isn't built to be launched, though many people do it - you will pay for it in the end through clutch replacement and the labor charges are killer.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default When I do it...

I...
1. Disengage clutch
2. Select gear AND rev match at the same
3. Engage clutch

There is no need to select your gear and rev at the same time. You just need to do both before you release the clutch. Oh yeah, order does not matter either. Hope it helps.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Also - NEVER use downshifting as an aid in slowing the car. Use only brakes - new brakes are dirt

cheap compared to the few thousand plus it costs for a new clutch.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:25 AM

Default Re: When upshifting, let up on the throttle a bit...

Hey thanks for the advice. I have been trying that exercise that you mentioned. Problem is, I got so used to just doing it that way that the people behind me at the lights get a little frustrated when it takes me forever to get moving. As far dropping into neutral to stop, I've been doing that but it sort of feels like the car is in a free for all. I feel like braking becomes a little more difficult and unpredictable for some reason. Braking is another important issue.
My brakes have this sort of clenching feel to them. Is that normal. The car stops on a dime, but I feel like I'm doing some damage. I just started driving the car, bought it three months ago, but it sat in my garage until I got insurance last week. It can't be that brakes are worn, the car only has 37k miles and my dealer told me that they did some kind of 40k Tuneup. Maybe I'm just not used to sportier brakes, but they sure feel awkward sometimes.

Quick Reply: first manual car, having some trouble upshifting from first to second, and downshifting altogether