S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

First Track day event in S4, Moroso...Very Long...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Track day event in S4, Moroso...Very Long...

First, sorry, no pics or video. I wish I did, because it rained hard during the second session, and I almost lapped the entire field...Quattro rules in the wet.

Anyway, HPDE at Moroso in West Palm.

First, my compliments to the event organizers and instructors. They run an organized safe event, they give you enough instruction and track time, but no too much.

My instructor Danny A from Miami was terrific. What a true gentlemen. He took the first few laps of our session and showed me the line and corner worker spots and things to look for. Oddly, everyone else took 3-4 laps before switching with the student. Must have given him the impression I had a clue..that was a mistake..hah.

Never being on a track and at any event, it was a learing experience for sure. I just had the attitude that I wanted to learn, see what it was about, and have some fun....all of that was accomplished safely.

First note, I run a '02 GIAC X, Tip chip, obviously automatic, BBS 18CH with 235/35 PZeros, they were good on the track. Also, Stasis Street Sport setup..good, but not good enough for my liking, I wrote a review for that already, search for that. Lastly, Stoptech big brake kit on the front. Note, use a track pad, street pads melted and have caused deposition I need to rectify now with Stoptech's help.

The first guy I met at the track was someone named Steve in a Red Camaro, nice guy and had been to a few track events before. Also, met his buddy and co-worker in a Laguna Seca Conv M3 manual, it was stock.

There were 18 Green class students, the largest they ever had. There were more M3s, some SMG, Miatas, Porsche Turbo, Corvette and some other misc typical cars you would expect to see..surprising, not one Mercedes there. M3s were definitely representing the most car. I was a little scared, shouldn't have been now that I have seen them run.

Well, getting used to the track and driving at speed the first session, there was a Porsche Turbo that was a Group 3 (solo driver running with us), I think he lapped everyone 2 times in that session, don't kid yourselves, those things are fast in capable hands at the track. Also, got lapped by a vette the first session once, too much HPs, think it was a Z06.

At the end an M3 got around me with SMG on the last lap. He had suspension work I could tell, but the rest looked stock. But, I was braking way too early and having a hard time with right hand turns...

Right about the second to last lap of our session, Steve in the Red Camaro got around me on the back straight out of turn 6. Well, 1 lap later, we get a black flag, and as I coming out of turn 6, there is Steve against the right side wall facing backward. Car got tail happy, he lifted, and around he went, hit the wet grass, and smacked the back left of his car and left wheel. He was lucky that is all that happened. Need some body work, but car was mostly sound. After healing his ego, he got the car ready for the last session of the day.

The second session, the rain came down. I was a happy camper knowing I got all-wheel drive. I was the third car in our group out of the pit area, we left all 18 at once. It started dumping rain. I slowed some, but gained confidence quickly due to the Quattro, learned the line and started building speed rapidly. By half way through the 35 minute session, I had lapped half of the field that started behind me. Porsche Turbo that had lapped me twice, move over, quattro coming through, Corvette, please step aside, I am screaming off the corners carrying wicked speed. I yelled out to Danny my instructor, now you are a believer!! Not sure how many all-wheel drive cars these guys been in, but by some comments and instruction they give, pretty much none. No real driving feat with this car, it's all Quattro doing the work.

Within another 2 laps, I would have lapped the rest of the field that started behind me. I am not bragging, I am not an expert, on dry pavement, those cars shame the S4, but on race soaked roads, there is no replacement for all-wheel drive.

The last session, I purposely let a few M3s and the Camaro out in front of me along with a Porsche Carrerra 4S with a female. The 4S was right in front of me, she was not good with the corners or braking, so getting around was easy, but in the straights, that things had some pull, the GAIC X chips could barely hang, she didn't go out in the rain, she could of lapped alot of people with that car if she did, I talked with her and told her that.

About half way through the 30 minute session, I had the Laguna Seca M3 in my sights. The driver had problems with cornering and finding the apex, otherwise, I should have had a near impossible time getting by him, or just keeping up for that matter with just a chipped car. One thing in for sure, the Audi has some high speed pull. Coming off turn 10 onto the front straight, you can run through turn 1 with no slowing. I was gaining on the M3, and I very rarely put it past the kick stop the entire day. After passing Turn 1, 100+mph, I was gaining and would hit 122mph approx. and would be right up on the M3s ****. The StopTechs were great, but the pads sucked, even so, I was out-braking the M3. With track pads, it would have been much easier, plus I would of have more confidence. Next lap, I really hit the exit speed on turn 10 and he let me by before turn 1 on the straight. It is true what they say, hitting the apex and exit speed is really critical, and when you get it just right, you carry alot of speed down the straight.

In a couple of short laps, I found Steve in the Camaro. Obviously taking it a bit more easy this time, but still letting it rip down the straights, his car was pretty strong. But, no match for the Audi S4 even on dry pavement, I got around him too soon.

Now, I am not racing here, I was just there to have fun, but it is part of the appeal, see if you can safely get around the guy/gal in front of you, especially when it's an M car. Also, if you get passed, which I did many times, see if you can keep up and watch the lines and learn. I am also trying to give a comparison for those that don't know or haven't been up against cars that are touted as being really good. The Audi with the right setup and represent well and impress on the dry pavement. In the rain, well, we know all-wheel drive rules.

Mind you, I am in a Tip car. I ran the track in 3/4 gear. Third out of every corner was perfect torque/boost range, fourth for the straights. I couldn't get it to 5th gear because it would downshift automatically because I wasn't going over 120mph....I would just let it scream up to 6000+rpm 120mph, then hard brake down to speed, hit third and take the turns...very easy at this course and perfect.

The corvette got around me again, but not easily, it took him about 2 laps until I let him by off turn 6 due to the HPs had, must have been a Z06, not sure though. It is a goodhandling car and has power/torque. My Stage I car cant'compete drivers being equal.

Anyway, a few notes. No M3 behind me got around me on the last session, or even got close, maybe gained distance from them too, who knows. The properly driven M3 and Stage II should be pretty close, but with the right suspension/brakes, the Stage II should get the edge, and I was in a Tip.

Also, autos and sequential gearboxes can really shine at the track. It is obvious why that is where it is at in many race cars from forumla to Rally. You can concentrate on driving and not dancing on the pedals. Unless you are an expert on the clutch, but all else equal, the stick will lose. I was glad I had an Auto, trying to learn to shift while everything else is new, corner workers, apex, braking etc...that is just one more wrench in the wheel I didn't need.

The laguna blue conv owner gave me a compliment about having a good last run, but you could tell, it was hard for him to get it out. But, I respect and appreciate when someone acknowledges a driver/car that maybe they wouldn't give any respect to typically for doing so.

And, nobody wanted to acknowledge the walking they took by the S4 Quattro during the rain, they all wanted to pack it up and go home when it started raining. I wanted more and begged for it, the only chance I have to stay fast against some of these cars and drivers.

Overall opinion is good of HPDE.

First, they need to learn about all-wheel drive. Alot of the stuff they talk about just doesn't apply and for us, it's bad advice. They know alot about rear wheel and racing, but the older guys seemed to take no interest. A great deal of there knowledge and experience is golden, but stuck some in history.

Second, get a track pad for the type of driving. Your car will perform better, and you won't ruin rotors/pads.

Third, good instructions and safety are number one priorities. It may cost more with HPDE in Florida compared to other club events, but you get what you pay for. Good, clean and safe fun while learning.

I am signing up for Sebring next month. Maybe will get a camera mount this time and get video. The rain thing was just priceless to see, wish I had that for all to see.

Seriously considering the Track sport from Stasis. Street Sport is still too soft.

Lastly, praying the K03s hold up. I run 15W50 M1 oil, the temp stayed about 250 most of the day. the last session I was really pushing it trying to get around the M3, and it went to 260F and the water gauge finally went above half way where it normally sits all the time.

Final note, I burned an entire tank of gas and only went 140 miles...ouch...SUV territory.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default nice! way to put the quattro to work =) glad you had a good event! as for the camera

might i suggest a remote camera mount I run the topspin setup and it works great.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How low is your car? Any rubbing with 235/35-18's?
Old 09-09-2003, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

24.5" No rubbing...but, bottom will scrape sometimes.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is that topspin just a remote lens? It isn't the entire recording unit is it? Web site don't say.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a remote lens... click on my sig and you'll see a link for it...