S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

fixed my rocking passenger seat...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any good instructions for seat removal? how long did it take you?
Old 02-23-2003, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worries about extra bushing wear...

I don't have any fear of accelerated wear of the bushing. The right side bushing and the bushings on the driver's side are made of the same material. None of these are loose.

My theory is that the seat rail manufacturing process isn't perfect, and my fix is merely a tweak to make the bushing fit in the rail as it was intended.

My passenger seat gets used about 20% of the time.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: any good instructions for seat removal? how long did it take you?

It took me maybe 2 hours. I did it mostly by trial and error, going slow so as not to break anything.

Removal procedure (this may not be complete, as I'm writing from memory):

1) adjust seat all the way forward. Remove plastic guards from back ends of seat rails (one philips-head screw per side, accessed from the back seat).

2) adjust seat all the way back, exposing flat plastic covers on floor. Remove the covers by pressing down firmly and sliding towards the front of the car. You'll see an allen-head bolt under each, remove these. Your seat's now free to move by hand.

3) disconnect the seat's wiring harnesses and pull wiring harness dutz fastener out of bracket on seat (I ended up destroying mine, had to use a tie wrap to re-attach).

4) slide seat (by hand, now) all the way rearward (I mean *all* the way). You'll probably want a helper to make sure the seat rail runners slide out of the rails *on top* of the rear carpet (getting it all greasy ).

5) once the runners are free of the rails and the carpet (no mean feat for me), tip the seat forward, and lift out the front door.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Be careful out there.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Now that's a real man. I say "If you can't duct it, f#@k it!"
Old 10-28-2011, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

how did you get to the allen bolts?? im at that point myself in trying to remove both front seats but the allens are not accesable even with the seat all the way back. would i have to tip the seat all the way back as well??
Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 AM
MDJ
Audiworld Junior Member

Or....just order this.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-...at/OEM/ES4769/
Old 11-06-2011, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default nope...

Originally Posted by bunge115
how did you get to the allen bolts?? im at that point myself in trying to remove both front seats but the allens are not accesable even with the seat all the way back. would i have to tip the seat all the way back as well??
Are you talking about the forward bolts? If so, there's a cap. You gotta press down and slide forward toward the front of the car. Then you should be good from there.. don't forget the rear rail caps... and screws.

I'd go with ecs option to be honest. Put a new set in your self and lightly lube with moly grease, and you should be fine for quite some time. Also, doesn't hurt to check it maybe yearly or so.

Hope this helps.
Chris
Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rwalker
It took me maybe 2 hours. I did it mostly by trial and error, going slow so as not to break anything.

Removal procedure (this may not be complete, as I'm writing from memory):

1) adjust seat all the way forward. Remove plastic guards from back ends of seat rails (one philips-head screw per side, accessed from the back seat).

2) adjust seat all the way back, exposing flat plastic covers on floor. Remove the covers by pressing down firmly and sliding towards the front of the car. You'll see an allen-head bolt under each, remove these. Your seat's now free to move by hand.

3) disconnect the seat's wiring harnesses and pull wiring harness dutz fastener out of bracket on seat (I ended up destroying mine, had to use a tie wrap to re-attach).

4) slide seat (by hand, now) all the way rearward (I mean *all* the way). You'll probably want a helper to make sure the seat rail runners slide out of the rails *on top* of the rear carpet (getting it all greasy ).

5) once the runners are free of the rails and the carpet (no mean feat for me), tip the seat forward, and lift out the front door.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Be careful out there.
Hows that?