S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Flickering lights diagnostics:

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Brazil

Default Flickering lights diagnostics:

Pick one:

A) Battery
B) Alternator
C) Voltage Regulator
D) Combination or other

This problem doesn't happen all the time. It seems to happen during longer drives when the car has a chance to reach maximum temperature and the headlights have been on. At first I thought it was just the headlights flickering, but after closer inspection, the rest of the system was behaving the same.

The flicker is very noticable in the headlights and the dash voltmeter also has a slight wobble when this is happening. It is usually steady and dead on 14 V on the meter during normal operation, but sometimes drops to approximately 13 V during this problem.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E) Stay off the crack - mental distubance

In commercial lighting applications when a light has a flicker effect it is the ballasts inability to regulate the voltage the excites the innert gas. This can happen as a result of over heating or generally faulty regulator.

IMO.....unless you want to replace the ballasts or put a long term voltage tester on it to log the output variation you would be better of dealing with the minor inconvience.

STAY OFF THE CRACK! LOL J/K
Old 12-29-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Flickering lights diagnostics:

1) VAG it

2) Check and clean battery terminals. Use a wire brush and coat with KOP-R-SHIELD or equivalent corrosion inhibitor.

3) Check grounding system and B+ according to Bentley procedures.

4) Check and clean connections on alternator. Use contact cleaner on electrical connections. If underhood, I would use dielectric grease to keep moisture out. This is NON-conductive.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Probably a ballast on its way out
Old 12-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Brazil

Default Trust me, it's not a minor inconvenience. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there

The lights flicker on and off so bad, it's to the point where it seems like they'll fail.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Brazil

No. Ballasts would not effect the entire system, and both lights do it concurrently.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Brazil

Default I'll give it a try, but why would it only happen after long drives? BTW...

The battery posts look very clean. Unless it's the battery itself, it is something else.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Maybe you don't notice it on the short ones?

The only way to find it is to perform the electrical system tests, unfortunately.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Brazil

Default I will do that. It is very noticable when it is happening. The lights flicker like an old truck.

I would have noticed anytime it happens, even on short drives.

It also happens when my ABS does its self test after reaching 5mph for the first time or after you lift off the brakes after the ABS activates. That is what made me think of the alternator.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Heh, you would be surprised!

I had a ballast go bad in my M3, and it was causing ltos of power fluctuations... eventually it blew a fuse (20A)... I changed the ballasts and all is well.

-T

Quick Reply: Flickering lights diagnostics: