S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Are fog lights overkill in rain???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2000, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are fog lights overkill in rain???

I was driving in the rain Monday and it seemed like the Xenon's were not bright enough, I turned on the front fog lights. I could see just fine after that. Afterwards some guy in a pickup passes me. He must have really wanted to get in front of me since I passed him earlier. After passing me, he stayed about 3 car lengths in front of me. After a while, he must have gotten sick of the brightness and he turned on the annoying light from the top of the cab that puts light to the bed of the truck. I realized what he was trying to say and turned off the fog lights, which was followed by him turning off that annoying light.

My question is: Are the for lights overkill for driving in the rain OR should I have flashed my brights at him (telling him to F*** off)?

Brett
Old 04-05-2000, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I doubt it was the fogs.. prolly the xenons... they are quite bright...
Old 04-05-2000, 07:06 AM

Default I would have flashed...

He probably thought your xexons we brights, having no idea what the hell that blue is...

How many time have you had a truck behind you shinning his lights right into your mirrors? Give him a taste of his own medicine. Now he knows how everyone else feels when a damn truck or SUV is following with those lights shinning perfectly into your mirrors... I say F*ck 'em
Old 04-05-2000, 07:28 AM

Default The guy let me pass him afterwards...

The guy let me pass him afterwards. Probably realizing that the headlights really are that bright. I was tempted to turn on the rear fog light after passing him. I'm not sure how bright the rear fog light is though. If it is really bright, I bet I would have pissed him off that way.

With the nice rearview mirrors that the '00 S4 has, I don't even notice the lights of an SUV or truck being right in my eye.
Old 04-05-2000, 08:11 AM

Anytime I have my lights on, I turn the fogs on.. hope I'm not pissing too many people off!
Old 04-05-2000, 08:12 AM

Default You should have turned on the rear fog!

It's not terribly bright, but combined with the hazard lights it's really quite confusing to people behind ya!

And the fog lights really are'nt that bright...hmmm...
Old 04-05-2000, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did that...once.

The guy slammed on his brakes and I rear-ended him (I was driving a non-ABS car at the time). Little damage to his car, but mine was totalled. He later claimed some neck injuries (despite reporting no injuries and the scene and then going to Las Vegas for a week after the accident) and my insurance offered him $3K. He refused and took the case to trial (via Jacoby and Myers). The were asking for $15K. My insurance company flew me to the trial (I had since moved out of state) so I could testify, but the case ended in mistrial because one of the jurors did not return after lunch. The trial was rescheduled several times, and ultimately the plantiff accepted $5K in lieu of going back to trial.

Moral of the story: don't flash your brights at anyone.

Bob W.
Old 04-05-2000, 08:20 AM

Re: Has anyone switched the fog light covers to yellow?
Old 04-05-2000, 08:23 AM

I never understood the purpose of doing that all the time.
Old 04-05-2000, 08:30 AM

Default I have S8 brakes... no problem

The only car that stops better than mine around here is Cahtleen's...

Besides, if he's willing to get into it over some lights, and wrecks my car... He better be willing to go all the way - nuf said

Quick Reply: Are fog lights overkill in rain???