S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

A follow up to last nights Stage 6 vs. Stage 2 plus...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A follow up to last nights Stage 6 vs. Stage 2 plus...

Obviously, the cat is out of the bag that my car is the ams stage 6 car, and Troy's is the stage 2+ car. So lets hash this out a little.

I bought the car from MarinS4 after i rolled my 2000 s4. The weekend i bought it, i took it down to AMS to the dyno day. I figured i would run straight 91 to see how much power i am making from a day to day basis. The car made 370 on 91. Marc told me that not having the rear cats in, could be effecting the tuning, but that over all, he thought the car was running on par. He told me that there wasnt much more power to be had, maybe just more consistancy with the cats in. Fair enough.

So i come back to norcal, and start getting the car in order. I ran a pressure test, all was well. I replaced all 4 o2 sensors, just to be on the safe side, check for codes, and just generaly give the car a look over. Having been around these cars for over 2 years, i generaly know what to look for. In any event, the car checks out, except for the cats.

Mike (Mr. Piggy) came out to visit, and i let him drive my car. On the way back from our day in SF, mike was driving my car, and troy was driving his own. Mike lined up with him, and we couldnt gain an inch on troy. In my car's defense, mike did shift kinda early, but you wouldnt think that would matter too much considering my car has all the UBBER hardware. Mike and myself were so taken back by this, that we just HAD to log it.

So it was midnight on friday, and there we were, logging on his "vacation." The logs didnt look too promising. The knock sensors were saturated at 29.8 volts, and the timing was complete ****. We added a bit more fuel with Limmingwinks, and it helped out the timing a bit, and also dropped the time it took me to run through third gear.

The next day mike came over, and pointed out the injectors had a right way to go in, and a wrong way. The right way looks more un-natural, but the injector sprays at 15 degrees, so the natural way sprays fuel into the wall. (The connectors should be facing toward the firewall on the drivers side, and toward the front of the car on the Pass side. mine were the other way) Me and troy turned the injectors around the other day, took out the fuel we added with limmingwinks, and went out and logged it. To our suprise, it actualy backed off the knock voltage by almost a full volt. So that was a good thing.

Last night, we went out and logged troys car, to make sure we werent getting throttle cut with the MBC, but ended up noticing that the car was just about as fast as the logs i did with mike. Being the scientific people we are, we went back to my house, because we wanted to re-log my car to make sure we werent playing with variables.

We took my car to the same strech of road, did the same log in the same place. We then compaired the logs and saw that the cars took almost the exact same amount of time in the logs.

I am hoping to get the cats on tonight, so we can see if it makes a difference.

Next week i am going down to AMS to retune the car. I am confident that marc can make some more power with it. I would like nothing more for me to come back home, and absolutely distroy troy. I am sure he wishes for the same.

So thats the story for those of you who claim it CANT be true.

Let me know if anything is unclear.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good post Dustin. Every *single* thing that's been done to your car has

been logged meticulously in terms of timing the 3rd gear runs. The car runs very well, but should make quite a bit more power. Very smooth and powerful versus the lurching banshee behavior of my car.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

what box is your stage 6 car? i might have missed it...oh yeah what box is troy's?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Bram=H, Troy=T
Old 03-30-2004, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

and you're x chip with MBC...correct?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

hmmm, interesting. so troy have you ran a stage 3 GIAC/AWE car yet? just for comparison?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:23 PM

Default BTW...i just want to add.

I am in no way saying that any kit is better then another. Troy and myself are good friends, and spend a whole lot of time in my garage trying to think up new ways to make our cars faster. Both of us coming from No BS muscle car back grounds, we both strive for the same things. We both just want our cars to be faster, while still maintaining a daily drivablity. I am sorry if we have stepped on anyone's toes, but this really is a matter of just trying to help make our cars faster.

If you want your car to be faster, I personaly urge you to report any results you have when testing or any ideas you come up with. Cars dont get any faster by keeping secrets.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Elder Member

AMEN Brotha!
Old 03-30-2004, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default xchip mbc fmic dps borla and K03s. How's that for acronym intensive? ;-)

Good price you guys have on those turbos btw! I was wrong about the hot side stuff, there doesn't appear to be a new turbine wheel available. Sorry.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that is the best post i have seen today : )

Quick Reply: A follow up to last nights Stage 6 vs. Stage 2 plus...