S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Found the source of my door creak!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 07:05 AM
dsl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found the source of my door creak!

For whatever it's worth, if you have door creaks, you might try this:

Starting around 3k miles or so, I began to notice my doors creaking from body flex (windows up, radio off) and it was driving me crazy. It was most noticeable when entering driveways, rolling over speed bumps diagonally, and going through the stop sign routine. A few searches and posts in AW seemed to center the problem on the infamous "B pillar rattle" (fix posted in the Tech/Exterior section) or the rubber door seals. I first tried to lubricate the door seals with silicone spray which seemed to work but only lasted for 3-4 weeks and frankly was a messy pain in the a$$ to coat the full circumference of the four doors.

Turns out that *my* creak is actually a cross of the 2 items above - my creak only originates where the door seals touch the glossly black exterior B pillar cover - something about the rubber/plastic interface. Using a door seal wax lubricant (its like a thick translucent crayon), I put a thin coat on the B pillar cover surfaces that touch both the front and back door seals on both side of the car and voila, no more creaking. You can barely see the wax with the door open and won't see anything with the doors closed. The wax lubricant should last longer than silicone spray and even if I have to keep reapplying it, it's only four 1 foot strips. I might also try another more permanent "lubricant" - everyday 3M magic tape.

It's amazing how the absence of this subtle creak transforms my impression of the car from a cheap POS back to the best car I've ever owned. If this manages to fix anyone's door creak problem, please respond back to this post and I'll have this posted in the Tech section.
Old 08-01-2001, 07:11 AM

Default Can you tell us where to get that wax...

...then I will try it and get back to you.
Old 08-01-2001, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sweet thanx.. Where did you find the "crayon"
Old 08-01-2001, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi also has a TSB on this.

I had the same thing (rubber door seal) and they applied a clear tape to the topside of the door where it meets the seals. Problem solved!
Old 08-01-2001, 07:33 AM
dsl

Default Local mom/pop hardware store for me.....(more)

but someone once posted that you can get it at any auto parts store. You can still test if this is the source of your creak with silicone spray or even talcum powder...the wax lub should just make it last longer.
Old 08-01-2001, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you da' f'ing man.....that has been driving me crazy since day 1....
Old 08-01-2001, 08:02 AM

Default Do I have the same problem...

My driver's door makes noise under the same circumstance as yours. My noise sounds like the door is not completely shut. In fact, the first time I heard it, at 700 miles, I opened and closed the door to no avail. My noise seems to come from about the middle of the door where the latch is. The noise sounds more mechanical than a squeak, but maybe that is because of the resonance properties of the door.
Am I describing the same phenomenon?
Old 08-01-2001, 08:30 AM
dsl

Hope it works for you...it seems every car has a different source/type of these creaks.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:44 AM
dsl

Default Mine's definitely not mechanical...

or a hard surface against hard surface rattle, it sounds more like the noise of subtle body movements while wearing a stiff leather jacket.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:56 AM

Thanks, that is a good description. I will listen again. I think mechanical because of the pitch.

Quick Reply: Found the source of my door creak!