S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Front end chirping / squeaking after coilover install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end chirping / squeaking after coilover install

Finally installed new coilovers on the S4. Sadly, I'm now hearing a high pitched chirp/squeak over potholes and bumps. It was coming from the front passenger side suspension initially. I swapped the coilovers from one side to the other and the sound that was on the passenger side still exists BUT now the left is exhibiting a similar sound. Its literally a chirp - a really short, high pitched sound similar to a high pitched brake squeak but only happens when I hit uneven pavement. Braking does not stop the chirp and this happens at any speed but I can't reproduce it when parked.

All mounting hardware is new (mounts, nuts, bolts, washers) and everything has been fitted and torqued per the Bentley. My ride height is about 25.5-26 and the car has 78k miles. I did not have any noises from the front before the coilovers which got me to thinking it could be those but who knows.

Of course I did a search and many people say brakes can do this... but if I'm braking I still get the noise.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the same problem - did you figure it out?

I installed the Vogtland GT's a few months back and I have the same rubbing/chirping/squeaking problem. I can reproduce when parked by pushing up and down on the car. I only hear it on the front suspension.

I took off the wheels today and it looks like the top 2-3 loops of the coilover spring are rubbing on each other. The tops and bottoms of the coils show exposed metal. I am assuming this is the problem, but my drop was pretty average - 25.75 f and back.

Let me know if you figured it out.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have this same issue on my 2006 S4 Avant which had Bilstein PSS9 coilovers installed recently. Very light chirping noise coming mosly from the front right wheel area, but from the left too occasionally. Doesn't occur on large bumps, but only on the smallest road imperfections. Can only hear it with the windows down and radio off. May have heard something about needing new control arm bushings? I don't know for certain though. I bought this car with the coilovers recently put on, so no idea if there was a sound that existed prior to their installation.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you re-torque your control arm bushings under load?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nooB5
Did you re-torque your control arm bushings under load?
No idea if they did this. The coil overs are something the dealer installed.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I figured out my problem

When I installed the coilovers I never pushed the rubber bump stops up into their seat (push up). They were sitting at the lip of the seat and we rubbing/making noise.

Another common problem that I learned of is that the top washer can be put in the wrong place (above the top rubber mount (incorrect) instead of below it directly on the top of the strut shaft (correct)). I had done it correctly, but noticed my bump stop issue as part of the investigation.

I just replaced my control arms as well and tightened everything under load, so that was not the source.