S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Fuel Filter change on 2001 S4 --- RE: Mike Staley's directions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter change on 2001 S4 --- RE: Mike Staley's directions

To follow up on Mike Staley's directions on the 99 A4/S4 fuel filter change.....

I just did this procedure on my 2001 S4. Just wanted to note that the directions were accurate and applied to my car as well with one exception...

*** The bolt holding the filter strap requires a 6mm allen tool (NOT a 8mm as per these directions!!!) ***

^^^ make sure you have the right size tool before digging into the job!

I don't know if that was a typo or if Audi has changed the bolt size in later models or for the S4 spec. Either a 6pt or 12pt can be used. A ratcheting wrench will definitely help a lot, I did not have one that ratchets! This bolt was VERY difficult to get to...you need to have extreme patience for this or don't tackle this job!

I unfortunately slightly nicked the fuel line going to the bottom banjo bolt...and it is now leaking (small drip) ARGGGGHHHH!!!! Folks, be very careful not to damage the fuel lines in the process...they are under pressure and WILL leak even when slightly nicked! Now I gotta replace the dam fuel line which means I gotta drop the fuel tank AGAIN! DAMMIT!

Also, not noted in the directions, you need something to hold the banjo bolt in place while loosening and tightening the 17mm and 19mm bolts on either side...otherwise the entire fuel filter turns and you can cramp the fuel lines...be careful!!!

My car has 92K miles at the time, and I often run the tank very low, so I was hoping this replacement would help restore my upper end RPM range which seems to be lacking lately. It seems a little better, but I'm not sure, may be just psychological.

Thanks to Mike Staley for posting the directions with photos!
Old 07-13-2004, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default unless they changed the bolt, it was a "12-pt" or "triple-square", not an allen/hex bolt, maybe...

that's why you needed a different size of a different tool? Or was yours a real hex bolt? Was your filter ever changed before - ie could they have changed the bolt on you
Old 07-13-2004, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I think the wrong tool was used. You can probably force a 6mm allen into an 8mm triple-square
Old 07-13-2004, 06:49 AM

Default Re: unless they changed the bolt, it was a "12-pt" or "triple-square"...

I am the only owner of the car since it was new and I never had the fuel filter changed before.

The bolt had a 12-pt inset for an allen tool. The 6mm 6-pt allen bit that I used fit perfectly into the bolt. I did not have a 6mm wrench nor does one even exist that I know of and just like in Mike Staley's directions you can NOT fit a socket wrench on the end of the allen socket. So, I used the closest inch wrench I had which fit pretty good on the shaft of the 6mm allen bit. Used some WD40, the bolt was a little rusty and it took some force but my tool combination did not strip the bolt at all. If you can find a 6mm ratcheting wrench anywhere...BUY IT just for this job!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default agreed - we had a hard time finding a short 8mm triple-square as well, so we.....

took a hacksaw to one of the 3" long ones and that worked, IIRC. I do recall one of the cars I changed the filter, the bolt was seized and turning it just allowed it to spin as the square nut dug through the plastic strap. Somehow we managed to get it off though.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

how many miles do you have on your car?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol!! That's exactly what I had to do!
Old 07-13-2004, 02:33 PM

Default HOLY COW! That is the exact thing that happened to me...

yesterday. First, you don't have to lower the gas tank. That is b.s. Second I only hand tightened the bitch, no rattles and easier removal. I then started the car, the car was on ramps and I leaned out of the car and looked underneath it only to see a sprinkler system of 100 octane gas going everywhere. Scared the living dog doo doo out of me!

Turned off the car and looked underneath and what do you know I nicked to line coming from tank as you did and I just cut the line, as the hole was right next to the fitting, and then shoved the hose back on the bolt going to fuel filter. Everything is fine. I wouldn't drop the gas tank and replace the line, I would go to
discount auto, buy a fuel line and some interconnects and splice and clamp the biatch. no need to do all that ****.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:01 AM

Default Re: HOLY COW! That is the exact thing that happened to me...

I just replaced my fuel line last night with a new OEM line...not taking any chances of a patch blowing out on me!!! My local VW/Audi performance shop steered me away from patching it cause they had too many bad experiences. The line is under pressure, don't forget!
New cable: $30
Peace of mind: priceless

Fishing the new cable through was a Biotch!!! ...but I got it...and NO LEAKS now!

I don't see how you can possibly undo the bolt to the fuel filter strap without lowering the fuel tank...there is NO ROOM at all to get any tool up in there cause it's sandwhiched in there. What tool on earth did you use to do it???

You only hand tightened the filter strap bolt??? ....hmmmm...I don't know about that...I would be worried about hitting a nasty bump on the road and then the fuel filter falls out! :O
Old 08-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SilkenRocket01S4
To follow up on Mike Staley's directions on the 99 A4/S4 fuel filter change.....

I just did this procedure on my 2001 S4. Just wanted to note that the directions were accurate and applied to my car as well with one exception...

*** The bolt holding the filter strap requires a 6mm allen tool (NOT a 8mm as per these directions!!!) ***

^^^ make sure you have the right size tool before digging into the job!

I don't know if that was a typo or if Audi has changed the bolt size in later models or for the S4 spec. Either a 6pt or 12pt can be used. A ratcheting wrench will definitely help a lot, I did not have one that ratchets! This bolt was VERY difficult to get to...you need to have extreme patience for this or don't tackle this job!

I unfortunately slightly nicked the fuel line going to the bottom banjo bolt...and it is now leaking (small drip) ARGGGGHHHH!!!! Folks, be very careful not to damage the fuel lines in the process...they are under pressure and WILL leak even when slightly nicked! Now I gotta replace the dam fuel line which means I gotta drop the fuel tank AGAIN! DAMMIT!

Also, not noted in the directions, you need something to hold the banjo bolt in place while loosening and tightening the 17mm and 19mm bolts on either side...otherwise the entire fuel filter turns and you can cramp the fuel lines...be careful!!!

My car has 92K miles at the time, and I often run the tank very low, so I was hoping this replacement would help restore my upper end RPM range which seems to be lacking lately. It seems a little better, but I'm not sure, may be just psychological.

Thanks to Mike Staley for posting the directions with photos!
A link might be helpful. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1440553