S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Fuel filter change lessons learned.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter change lessons learned.

A few observations from my fuel filter change experience. The instructions in the tech section provide a good step by step of the procedures, but there were a couple of things that would have been good to know going in to set my expectations.

1. When I got around to bolting up the straps that hold the fuel tank to the car, the bolt near the fuel filter was a bear to get back in. The bolt needed to go back in the hole at a very specific angle in order for the threads to mesh. This was difficult to do because the strap naturally didn't want to be in the required position. I ended up using a brace to push the fuel tank up so I could move the strap more easily. I also had to remove the fastener on the fuel tank that holds the strap onto the tank. Then I had to push the strap into a spot where I could line the bolt up properly with the hole. Having somebody there to assist with holding the strap while I got the bolt aligned would have sped the process up. I was able to do it alone, but it took a while, at least 15-20 minutes, and was frustrating since it was such a simple thing to do yet took so long.

2. When you undo the strap around the fuel filter, if you can back the bolt out of the strap just enough to pull the fuel filter down and out, that might be preferred to removing the bolt completely, which is what I did. When it comes time to put the bolt back in, it's another challenge due to the cramped space. It took a while to be able to get the strap tight around the filter while I tried to thread the bolt into the hole using the triple square bit. (I bought this part online from Snap-on for $5) There's just not enough room to get both hands up there with space to maneuver them to optimal positions. The suggestion to use a ratcheting wrench is good advice. Removing the bolt doesn't need it, after the initial loosening I was able to remove the bolt with my fingers. But putting it back in would have taken much, much longer if I hadn't had a ratcheting wrench.

3. Removing and reattaching the lower banjo attachment isn't as simple as it sounds. The filter is tough to get a wrench around in order to hold it still while you use the socket wrench on the bolt that holds the banjo assembly to the filter. Something like a thin adjustable wrench would be nice here. I went with a pipe wrench that I could use to get around the banjo assembly and the filter, while I used a socket on the bolt that holds the banjo assembly on. At first when I was putting the new filter on I just held the filter with my hand while I tightened the bolt, but I had a drip when the fuel line was pressurized, so I had to use the wrench to tighten things up a bit more.

I spent about 2 hours for this job. Knowing what I do now, the next time I'd expect to do it in about half the time.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did mine last night, too. The bolt by the fuel filter is a bish to get back in (learned that with

my2nds4). My tank was almost completely empty (had to add some fuel to get it restarted. I was able to just push it over in place and get the bolt started. I think we used a jack to move the tank a bit on the other one.

Ratcheting wrench is a must have.

You can used a thin headed set of vice grips to hold the filter. Even my thinner wrenches didn't fit between the banjo and the filter. My vice-grips look kinda like a locking set of needle nose.

Agreed on all counts. Mine took about an hour. My2nds4's took a lot longer.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had all those same problems when I did mine. I left out the last tank strap bolt, said FUG IT
Old 03-27-2006, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta be one of the most difficult jobs to do on this car. I had a lift and it took me an hour!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:27 AM

lol...my car is a bish to work on
Old 03-27-2006, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I need to do this job, but am SO not looking forward to it...
Old 03-27-2006, 09:55 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Any noteable difference after it was changed? i.e. smoother idle, reduced hesitation, etc.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

NE1 know when this is recommended, I have one waiting but I'm a only at 47K,when did you guys do it?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No noticeable difference. Was at 65k and figured it was overdue.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:27 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Yup, that's why I was asking. Audi claims it's a lifetime filter.

I know some have claimed they are very clogged when they take them out, but that is comparing a wet filter vs. a dry one. It seems like it is a rather large filter = high capacity for dirt considering fuel is not nearly as filthy as oil.... so might not be worth changing unless over 100k.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter change lessons learned.