S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Funny thing happened on the way home...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-1999, 04:33 PM
steve l o

Default Funny thing happened on the way home...

This is not the typical, "I blew this guy away" post.
My wife and I went out to dinner last week. I asked if she wanted to drive. Handed her the key to the S4 and proceeded to show here where all the switches and stuff were.
we get rolling out of the driveway and she's commenting on how there is "nothing to it" with the shifter. (She drives a 95 Jetta GLX daily). "Wow, this steering is pretty tight." Further down the road, "The breaks are really sensetive." We pulled into the parking lot and walked into the restaurant and had dinner.
It's about 7:30pm, dark, not a whole lot of traffic around, we start back home. Home is about 10 miles away. She starts the car, forgets to take it out of gear before letting out the clutch. Car stalls. No big, start it again. We pull out of the parking lot and head down the street. We get about 2 miles from the house and some person in a newer Passat blows by us. (approx. 60 in a 30) He stops at the red light up ahead. He's in the right lane, we're in the left lane. The right lane merges into the left about 80 feet after the light and the Passat is showing now signs of turning. I hear the engine rev a little on the Passat, the light turns green. Before I know it, my wife nails the throttle and the Passat just disappears. She normally just lets things like that go by, but I guess the S4 bug got her. I looked over at her and saw, "the grin" on her face. I knew she was having fun. The Passat desides to be an idiot and tail us. He comes up about 1 foot from the rear bumper with the engine screeming. I hit the rear fog light and saw him almost jump out of the windshield. My wife hit the throttle and took off. Never saw the Passat again.
I've never seen her drive that way since I've known her. It was the greatest thing!!
After we got home, she asked what I did to get that Passat to drop back. I showed her the rear fog light. "I thought you had a bulb burned out the other night when I was following you home."

She's impressed with the car. She said she wants to drive it again when the new upgrades start happening next spring.

We both love the car!!

Steve L O
'00 S4 (Sven)
Old 12-07-1999, 04:53 PM
jee

Default My sister took my S4 for a 5 mile "short cruise around the block" the day I picked mine up!

She came back with the largest grin! She said it was a blast! Never had so much fun in a car.

Goes to show that women can have a hell of a time with the S4 as well. It also helps that they drive the S4s in stick - lets them see what the car is really, really like.
Old 12-07-1999, 04:59 PM
DJ

Default Re: Funny thing happened on the way home...

Thats a great story. Guess I know what the rear fog light is for now. What a great feature.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 12-07-1999, 04:59 PM
tmartin

LOL!!! I -LOVE- that method of getting someone off your bumper! Very nice work!
Old 12-07-1999, 06:24 PM
lionsfan54

Cool
Old 12-07-1999, 06:50 PM
Audi Dudey

Default Picture of fog light in operation?

Could anyone post a picture of that fog light in operation at night? I think I'm gonna love that feature! I had a friend who had rigged up a rear spray nozzle on his car whereby he could spray used motor oil on the windshield of the car behind him when they were persistent and dangerous tailgaters. Dastardly, yes, but it also got the point across.
Old 12-08-1999, 03:38 AM
JimZ

Default Has anyone figured out how to wire up a fog light on the right hand side too?

I had a similar experience with a tailgater while driving a Land Rover Discovery (which has fog lights above the brake lights on both sides).
Old 12-08-1999, 10:10 AM
steve l o

That would look too much like brake lights.