S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

GAH! I think I'm screwed when it comes to my car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have you signed anything to allow them to start working on the car?

if not, tell them to hold off until you've thought this out.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:40 PM

How would I go about that? Who should I talk to that could work this all out?
Old 08-06-2004, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default as long as you haven't given them any permission to start work...

I think you're still able to tell them not to work on the car.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I put it as in worst case scenario .. but he is NOT at fault..so he should have the upper hand.

the bottom line is that the girl's insurance company is affraid that you will sue for quite some money .. but i guess is not the case here..
that's why you would want a lawyer to write that letter .. requesting the fair amount of money for the car ..
in other words, the way i see it this is jungle's rule.. if you don't screw someone, you'll get screwed.. (kill so you don't get killed).
Old 08-06-2004, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If it does get fixed file a diminished value claim with her insurance co.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:50 PM

Default GRRRRR God I hate not having ownership of the car right now.

Well supposedly someone told them to start work on the car so they sourced parts for it and are doing the tear down to get another estimate which they will present to the insurance company as the final estimate to fix the car.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:51 PM

Default my $.02 ....(long)

1. I would never want a car back after an incident or accidnet like this. The way that they are repairing it seems that it will 99% not be the same. However, if you do get the car back, and keep it after repairs, make sure that you get a suplemental pay for the fact that now you will not be able to sell the car for the same amount of money as you would have before. (diminished value claim) but you should get at least 3k+ out of it.

2. If you go the route of fighting the insurance company to total the car via body shops word, make sure that they include all necesary costs, esp and including the cost of an EQUAL rental car for the time of the work being done. I was recently in an accident in my previous car(b5 A4) and the car was in the shop for over 3 months for a t-bone. the rental car was at least $3k plus for the 3 months.(IIRC)

3. (my opinion) Get the hell out of this car. It truely is a nightmare dealing with all of this stuff(accident and insurance) esp with a car that seems to be totaled. Talk to your body shop, put a hold on the work, and get in the face of her insurance company. In the long run, you will be very sad with your car, even if they do a 99% restoration, the simple things of squeeking glove box or crooked welding seems will haunt you. I know that they did with me. I sold my car within 1 month of recieving it back from the bodyshop.

one last thing:
they estimated the cost of repair(the bodyshop) at around 6k...long story short, it ended up around 13k, and I paid 16k for the car.

So let your voice be heard at the insurance company and keep in touch with the bodyshop with every single part etc that they order and demand lists of all costs with the estimate. This might all be moot as it sounds that the work or damage might already be started, but you never know, it might not be too late.

sorry for rampling, but i went through hell with the exact same scenario and simply got bent over in the long run.

good luck.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:53 PM

Default I'm sure they're a little worried about it saying as it's all her fault.

I'm really going to have to talk to a lawyer right now but as far as I know they have permission to get parts for the car and to do the tear down.
I'm wondering if I could work out a deal where the insurance company takes possesion of the car, gives me the amount for the car and we call it even, or something like that.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default have they given a preliminary estimate?

and has the insurance company agreed with the stimate as of yet? I can't see the autobody just working on a car that hasn't been approved by you or the insurance company yet, they usually won't until they've secured the approval of the owner and insurance company.

I think you're still able to back out of having the repairs started.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:54 PM

Default also, deal with it yourself. dont let it get out of your hands, but if it does

always use the threat of calling a laywer and filing a lawsuit. Always works as a good scare tactic.

Quick Reply: GAH! I think I'm screwed when it comes to my car.