S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Gauge Cluster Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Woes

Hey guys,

First post evar. I need some help. I have a 2000 S4 and I did the LCD screen replacement in the gauge cluster. Worked fine, and now I have a nice working LCD. Brightness is a little off it looks like, but it was a great DIY.

Anyways, going into it, I knew I had an issue with the ABS warning light on the gauge cluster. I knew this because my ABS wasn't functioning at all (Yay tire lock up) and I wasn't getting a proof light (the ABS light illuminates at key on) nor was I getting any ABS light at all, ever. I had kinda assumed it was because some hot shot thought he was awesome and had pulled a fuse on the ABS system and cut the gauge wire.

Turns out the answer is better than that. When I pulled the gauge cluster apart to fix the LCD, I found out that 3 LEDs had been smashed with a pliers or screw driver. Obviously, someone wanted to sell the car, and instead of fixing it, they smashed (wait, I mean "fixed") the CEL, ABS and Brake warning lights. Joy. This is the part where I am kicking myself.

The point to all of this is, does anyone know what LEDs those guys are? What brightness? I found some on Mouser that are the right size and voltage drop (3mm x 2.8mm and 1.8-1.9 Volts) and look identical to the ones on the board, but I have no idea what the LEDs are rated for in brightness (Power dissapated, I'm guess 20mA). Anyone know?

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hey bud...

Originally Posted by whis5555
Hey guys,

First post evar. I need some help. I have a 2000 S4 and I did the LCD screen replacement in the gauge cluster. Worked fine, and now I have a nice working LCD. Brightness is a little off it looks like, but it was a great DIY.

Anyways, going into it, I knew I had an issue with the ABS warning light on the gauge cluster. I knew this because my ABS wasn't functioning at all (Yay tire lock up) and I wasn't getting a proof light (the ABS light illuminates at key on) nor was I getting any ABS light at all, ever. I had kinda assumed it was because some hot shot thought he was awesome and had pulled a fuse on the ABS system and cut the gauge wire.

Turns out the answer is better than that. When I pulled the gauge cluster apart to fix the LCD, I found out that 3 LEDs had been smashed with a pliers or screw driver. Obviously, someone wanted to sell the car, and instead of fixing it, they smashed (wait, I mean "fixed") the CEL, ABS and Brake warning lights. Joy. This is the part where I am kicking myself.

The point to all of this is, does anyone know what LEDs those guys are? What brightness? I found some on Mouser that are the right size and voltage drop (3mm x 2.8mm and 1.8-1.9 Volts) and look identical to the ones on the board, but I have no idea what the LEDs are rated for in brightness (Power dissapated, I'm guess 20mA). Anyone know?

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Sounds like someone ruined your S4 experience so far... Call up ModuleMaster.com Ask for Mark, tell him that Chris with the blue S4 told you to call him. (he fixed my red led on rpm side number 40 or 4000rpm...) I sent him my cluster for a screen repair... got it back with a dead led. sent it back he fixed it right up...

The point is, he may have the correct led's for ya. I normally would do this my self, but I don't have the steady hands... and I trust him. Give him a call and see what he can do for ya.

Good luck, sorry to hear that happened to ya... sucks like no other.

Chris
Old 08-04-2011, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

oem leds are made by osram. i believe they use 640-675nm wavelength.They are listed on the site by osram.just gotta find em.