S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Generally speaking, what mods differentiate between a Stage I, Stage II and Stage II+?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i apparently have touched a nerve with an APR disciple. what i mean is (m)

turbo car stages are traditionally referred to in whole number roman numerals (I, II, III, etc.). popular opinion on this board is that MTM and O.CT are 'odd ball' tuners for having such 'high' stage numbers when, in my opinion, they are on target.

the s4 is a turbo car and ostensibly belongs to that tradition. hopefully there's room for another point of view besides yours.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default *wipes sarcasm off* i gave an approximate breakdown of hp increases for each stage. (m)

that breakdown was apparently not what NN was looking for. just tryin' to help. and by not cumulative i meant that you can't just add up a tuner's claimed power increase for any one mod and expect to see that cumulative power increase on a dyno.

i certainly don't mean 2+.

who pissed in your wheaties today anyhow? welcome to the dark side of the forum, NN. there are friendly guys and girls out there. i swear. ;-)
Old 08-19-2003, 09:16 AM

Default It's all good...but thanks again for the info. After reading this board for a couple of months....

I've noticed that nerves are struck pretty quickly as well as certain acronyms bring both sarcasm and humor. Such as "TAP", "whp" and everybody's favorite: "STFA" =o)
Old 08-19-2003, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

shinronin is correct, not cumulative since power gains are seen at different RPMs
Old 08-19-2003, 09:27 AM

True...makes sense now.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Excuse you? I never stated my opinion or point of view

What other turbo cars follow as modification stages is of no concern to me. If they count by another means that you mention, great. Maybe it's even a better methodology to use.

The fact is, the commonly referred to Stages (which don't mate with your opinion) for the Audi S4 are as described above:

Stage 1 = chip
Stage 2 = chip + exhaust
Stage 2+ = chip + exhaust + downpipes
Stage 3 = K04 kit

For someone that may be new to Audi S4 aftermarket modifications, it is this info that they would like to know...the general consensus

note:
And while I don't feel like going to Strat (O.CT) and Hoppen's (MTM) websites, I don't believe that those two match up to one another either, so which of those do you feel is right? Because I don't believe that both can be
Old 08-19-2003, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: slight clarification, Stage II = Stage I + cat back, Stage II+ = Stage II + downpipes

What exactly is the benefit of the downpipes?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Faster turbo spooling. Less heat build-up since the cats no longer right there.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default perhaps i assume too much, but your sig seems to state your preference (m)

if not, please forgive me. also note the subject line of my post 4 posts above.

re: MTM and O.CT i haven't done a comparison of their stages either. i imagine they differ by a part here and there between stages, but the major parts (i.e. stage 3 = stage 2 + downpipes. stage 4 = stage 3 + turbos.) are the same. the important bit to me is that they adhere to the traditional turbo car stage progression instead of an ad hoc one.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default understand the point, but...

saying that they are "not cumulative"
and then saying "HP increases" are "stage 1 = ~65hp. stage 2 = ~7hp. stage 3 = ~20hp" on a stock 250HP car would mean:

stage 1 = 250 + 65 = 315 HP (chip)
stage 2 = 250 + 7 = 257 HP (chip/exhaust)
stage 3 = 250 + 20 = 270 HP (chip/exhaust/downpipes)

which obviously isn't the case.

So they are either cumulative, or the numbers given were incorrect

Quick Reply: Generally speaking, what mods differentiate between a Stage I, Stage II and Stage II+?