S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

GIAC a hack? - need chip help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GIAC a hack? - need chip help.

Hi all - forgive me if I am a little long here, I need a little guidance.

I'm a new S4 owner, and have been trying to do my homework regarding chips (actually, a few of the chip sellers pointed me in the direction of this bulletin board for info). I called Sratmosphere (I think he said that they were an only-MTM dealer), and talked to a guy named Pete. I basically told him that I was new to the chip game, and wondered what info he could give me on the chips they carried. He explained that MTM was first in the US with the 2000 S4 chips, but missed being first for the 2001s by a few weeks. Not a big deal to me, but I wondered who was the first, to which he answered: "a hack". Being in the IT field, I was pretty curious what he considered to be a "hack" - so I asked who this "hack" was, which he said was GIAC.

He then pointed me in the direction of the European Speed article to show an independent test and how the MTM chip fared against a few other well known chips. He also dismissed the GIAC chip numbers in this article as the results of reckless tuning done on the spot by GIAC, because their normal chip made so little power. He also told me to search the Audiworld archives to read about how poor the GIAC product was, and how many unsatisfied people there were using the GIAC chip.

Here is where I get a little confused... I started looking around in the archives here - and they are full of reports from a lot of happy GIAC customers, and a lot of "street" tests that certainly show that this is one of the more powerful chips. The European Speed article also shows the GIAC chip coming out on top in the retest.

Who do I believe here? Note, that I don't know Pete @ Stratmosphere from Adam - but I was pretty surprised to hear (well, I guess not *that* surprised) him so slam a competitor's product, especially when the reports from users seem so positive.

I couldn't find the overwhelming negative reports that Pete was referring to. Am I missing something? The other tuners that I called were pretty vague about chips in general (when asked to compare them to other chips) but none of them slammed a specific chip like this guy Pete. In fact, most of the guys I talked to were pretty respectful of each other, (I can;t remember which one but one of them even pointed out that Garett from GIAC was a real professional and talked about being amazed at his programming abilities.)

Should I just ignore Stratmosphere? A few friends (who talked me into getting the S4) were pretty positive about GIAC but I would like to get some impartial feedback... I liked the idea that MTM was from Germany but then again, after the conversation with Stratmosphere and the fact that I'm driving a S4 made for the US - I'm now thinking about going with GIAC.

Thanks anyone!
Mike
2001 Nagaro S4
Go Buckeyes!
Old 10-10-2000, 11:20 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't have a GIAC chip, but I think the truth has been exaggerated to you...

I know several people who've been very happy with GIAC, and it makes plenty of power. He was burning chips on the spot at the dyno test, but if you were a tuner that had access to one of the only 4wd dynos in the country at the time, wouldn't you be too? He wasn't fudging the chip to screw the test. The only problems with GIAC I've heard of with the S4 are that a few of the socketed chips have come loose.
Old 10-10-2000, 11:21 AM

Default Re: GIAC a hack? - need chip help.

GIAC is highly respected in the marketplace. There are MANY happy S4, A4/Passat (1.8t) customers out there.

The reason you can't find any negative feedback is because there simply isn't any. Speaks for itself.
Old 10-10-2000, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had a GIAC chip for 5-6mo and been really happy with it...

_NO_ problems aside from 2 torn TBB's :-)

Actually, I did have the Check Engine light come on once, and it was a couple Random Misfire DTC's... but it went away and never came back so I'm attributing it to bad gas.

Another reason I like the GIAC is 'cuz there is a distributor who is local to me, and who is good friends with Garrett, himself (he's always on the phone with Garrett, and Garrett has stopped by a few times). Makes me feel good about it.

I don't know why Stratmosphere said what they did -- I'm actually rather surprised at what they said.

-Taner
Old 10-10-2000, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm considering MTM 'cuz it seems to be the only one that limits boost spikes incase of blown hoses
Old 10-10-2000, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey Lance! What happened to your sig?
Old 10-10-2000, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ooops, meant to post above (dang I hate it when I do that!)
Old 10-10-2000, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GIAC (Garrett Lim) is probably the best tuner out there.

I can assure you that he is not a hack. He is known for his Audi, Volvo and Porsche chips.

PES uses Garrett's software to make their supercharger work on the A4 2.8. Nobody else could do it.

Are you certain he refered to GIAC as a hack? Maybe a misunderstanding?
Old 10-10-2000, 11:50 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's there...just cleaned it up some

What's wrong? I figured "corporate lawyer type turned track time junkie" and "I can't stop apexing" was too much. As far as the text on the picture...well things are in a state of flux. Besides, I really haven't modded the '00 Camry (4-cyl., *4*-speeds, tachometer, CD player, power driver's seat) I'm in right now, nor do I have a picture of it.
Old 10-10-2000, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Haven't some folks seen unusually high boost spikes w/ GIAC & APR, but not MTM???

Dissapointing to hear about competitor slamming from Pete, but I hear MTM chips are very well done. I've also heard that GIAC chips have the smoothest power delivery.

I just wish I'd hear some feedback about GIAC chips limiting boost spikes like the feedback I've heard about MTMs 'cuz I'd probably get a GIAC for the same reasons as Taner.

Quick Reply: GIAC a hack? - need chip help.