S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

GIAC S4 tiptronic *transmission chip* now available.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2000, 12:12 PM
merlin

Default GIAC S4 tiptronic *transmission chip* now available.

Installed at AWE in Philadelpia earlier today in my S4 tip that already has the GIAC engine chip. The trans chip speeds upshifts under high load/high RPM conditions, while retaining the silky around-town behavior of the stock S4.

It also eliminates unselected 5-4 downshifts in tip mode (or top gear hunting as some have described it) for those of you whose chipped cars have exhibited this behavior (regardless of which engine chip you run). It does not eliminate the automatic 1-2 upshift in tip mode.

So, the wait is over, and I would guess that the GIAC trans chip will be the only game in town for quite a while. It's great to be able to make full throttle upshifts without feeling like I'm overstressing the transmission. I don't know if it's on the GIAC website yet, but it should be shortly.
Old 02-25-2000, 12:55 PM
Rich R.

Default Re: GIAC S4 tiptronic *transmission chip* now available.

GREAT! Have they got a price for this yet?
Old 02-25-2000, 01:10 PM
merlin

I believe Garrett said $300.
Old 02-25-2000, 06:52 PM
Scott

Default Can the Transmission chip make the transmission handle more power??more...

I remember reading about the 2.8 PES SC kit for the A4 2.8 and it mentioned that they would sell thier 280hp kit for the 2.8 tip only if they also bought the garret tranny chip. the A4 tip is only rated to handle 220hp and torque and since the PES SC kit produces so much more there would be a problem but they said that the tranny chip would solve that problem. I'm not exactly how but that is what they said. So if the same applies for the 2.8 why not the S4 tip?? It would be great to modify your S4 tip past the rated 320hp and torque.

any input would help.

thanks

Scott
Old 02-25-2000, 07:24 PM
Garrett Lim

Default Re: Can the Transmission chip make the transmission handle more power??more...

Hi,

The GIAC "Tip chip" (transmission - not motor chip for a tip car) is a recalibration of the separate transmission ECU to match the increased torque of a more powerful motor chip.

This will make it drive like stock (little better). ie.- safer on the transmission with powerful motor chips- less delays, hence less burning of the clutches. The stock program will do a lot of adapting to get you close but it will never provide enough pressure to get it to shift properly under high load and boost.

The alternative it to settle with a lower output chip on a Tip S4. Then the stock trans chip will be fine after time.

Regarding pricing- the Tip tranmission chip is $400. GIAC past customers will get it for $300 as will new ones that get the motor/tip combo ($100 discount for the matched set).

thanks,
Garrett
Old 02-25-2000, 10:07 PM
Tommy

merlin do you honestly feel the gears are being shift faster?
Old 02-26-2000, 06:25 AM
RaudiS4

Therefore, Tip upgrade = 900.00 while 6 speed = 595.00?
Old 02-26-2000, 07:02 AM
merlin

Default Yes and no...(more)

Under ordinary driving (<half throttle, <4000RPM), any change in shift speed is so slight as to be virtually transparent. The change becomes apparent when shifting at times when the engine is pulling hard and really loading up the transmission.
Part of the reprogram of the trans chip is to increase the hydraulic (oil) pressure in the transmission to speed clutch engagement under these conditions. It does. Instead of the trans really straining to upshift at full throttle with a chipped engine, it will now complete a full-throttle upshift with a chipped engine as quickly or slightly quicker than it would with a stock engine.
So, what I'm trying to say is that yes, it works, but it is not a dramatic change that is obvious at all times. It is a subtle upgrade that works when it needs to, aiding performance driving and helping to ensure longer transmission life.

Hope this answers your question.
merlin
Old 02-26-2000, 07:10 AM
merlin

Default Part of the message was lost..

First sentence should be: Under ordinary driving (<half throttle, <4000RPM) any change in shift speed is virtually transparent. During full, or near full throttle upshifts, part of the reprogram...
Old 02-26-2000, 09:52 AM
Garrett Lim

Default Re: Therefore, Tip upgrade = 900.00 while 6 speed = 595.00?- more ->

Hi,

Yes it will be more $, but discounted. The tip chip was not a simple task and it is a separate ECU. Hence 2 chips are installed - 2 times the labor but the tip chip is 1/2 the price of the motor chip!

Now the stage 1 motor chip is mild enough that it should work without a tip chip reprogram. This has been an option. This has been verified on a S4 TIP at 8000 ft on 91 octane with a custom stage 1.5 (between 1 and 2). But it does need more time to train the tip ECU.

But stage 2 with a "tip chip" is a wonderful tuned matched package. All the power and no hit in driveability- more robust shifts - not harsh at all.

Please feel free to email me if you have questions.

Garrett Lim
GIAC<ul><li><a href="http://www.GIACusa.com">http://www.GIACusa.com</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: GIAC S4 tiptronic *transmission chip* now available.