S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Giuliani should be NYC's mayor for the rest of his life.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Giuliani should be NYC's mayor for the rest of his life.
Old 09-19-2001, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

*Getting under table*
Old 09-19-2001, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Nooooo

He's handled this very well but it's certainly time for Rudy G to go!!!
Old 09-19-2001, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default agreed...

I gotta say, where this country seems to be heading is starting to scare me. People who hated Bush's politics are worshipping him simply for being president (and not completely botching things quite as badly as he could have, Crusade comments aside).

What's really bothering me, though, is the attack on civil rights (not just civil liberties) that's about to happen. I fully expect that encryption w/o a backdoor will be illegal soon - not because it would make it any easier to catch terrorists, but because people are scared.

Calm down, people. The more we let politicians turn this into a police state, and the more blind hero-worship we practice (a la saying Giuliani should be mayor for life, or unquestioning acceptance of whatever military policy Bush decides to follow), the more the terrorists have accomplished.

... flame away, I know it's coming ;-)
Old 09-19-2001, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default this is what I'm talking about:

<ul><li><a href="http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=14924">http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=14924</a></li></ul>
Old 09-19-2001, 09:05 PM

AGREEEED!!!!!!!! RUN FOR OFFICE, YOU GOT MY VOTE!!!
Old 09-19-2001, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

You'll need something with a little more Lead than that table
Old 09-20-2001, 03:23 AM

Default Aizaz, of course you're right,....(m)

but look at the ***** that responded to you, Hrana (Taliban supporter), and the other brain surgeon "NoahD", saying it's time for him to go.

the ignorance of the average person astounds me. Look at England and Churchill. He kept that island together during the **** era. What do they do when the war is over? they voted him out.

my point is if NYers can't agree on something so obvious as the best mayor NYC has EVER had, NY is DOOMED.

Plain and simple.

BTW, I'm a criminal defense attorney (part of my practice), used to be a DA, and we need to lose a few "liberties" in this country, believe me. let's take the hand-cuffs off the FBI, CIA and local law enforcement.

the innocent have nothing to hide.....
Old 09-20-2001, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The innocent have nothing to hide?

"BTW, I'm a criminal defense attorney (part of my practice), used to be a DA, and we need to lose a few "liberties" in this country, believe me. let's take the hand-cuffs off the FBI, CIA and local law enforcement.

the innocent have nothing to hide....."

You forget where this leads. I don't really care if all the government does is sniff my email for terrorist "keywords." They've been doing it to phone conversations for years (trust me, I know; someone I know who worked at BBN used to work on that stuff).

What I do care is how much large corporations have their fingers into various government agencies. Today the FBI can sniff my email and phone conversations. Fine. But tomorrow they'll be able to backdoor-decrypt anything I encrypt. And think how bad the FBI has been about losing stuff. You have to be naive if you think corporate america won't wind up with those secrets. And yes, I DO have things I want to hide from large corporations - and that has nothing to do with whether or not I've done anything illegal.

The problem is, "government" is made up of individuals, and some of those individuals are corrupt. If crypto has backdoors, corrupt PEOPLE will have access. Period.

Furthermore, forcing Americans to use backdoored crypto won't stop terrorism at all; they've been relying more on steganography in the first place (information hiding, basically) and moreover they'll still have access to the same crypto programs as before. Heck, the current AES standard for crypto algorithms (Rijndael) wasn't even developed in the US.

The point is, useless kneejerk legislation won't do anything to stop terrorists, but may harm us deeply.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:35 AM

Default ok, point well taken (m)

you make good points. but, if the stuff will combat terrorism, let's be prepared to sacrifice a few "liberties" if necessary, eh?

be well.

Quick Reply: Giuliani should be NYC's mayor for the rest of his life.