S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Good day at the track, now I need torsen rear diff...(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Good day at the track, now I need torsen rear diff...(Long)

I went down with some friends for an open track day at Grattan Raceway yesterday. There were a total of 15 cars there and 12 of them were our group from up here in/near Traverse City Michigan. We had a blast and everyone drove their car home without any failiers. This was my second event at Grattan this year and the main difference was that I had competition tires and added the H-sport sway bars. The car ran awesome and handled very well making the BMW guys feel a little sad as the wagon would tear past them. The one problem I have now is I get wheel lift on the inside rear tire in the tight turns and can't get back on the gas untill it touches. I tried the soft setting on the rear swaybar but it would still lift. Will the torsen rear diff make all the difference in this situation? Any other suggestions? Brakes are also going to need some attention. The 332 stopotechs just don't do it and I used a set of ferrodo(sp?) up in two half hour sessions. I'll probably try the bigger rear rotor option for now and some better pads but I have a feeling I'll need more. I use the car in the winter and don't want to run 18's year round. Any idea's here? Thanks guys, sorry for the long post.

Elijah
Old 10-01-2007, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u need LSD ! and bigger front brakes sounds like .. 332-s are not "ALL THAT" imho.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default get better pads. which Ferodo pads were you using? ds2500? i used 332 ST for

many track events, but having a good pad is key. i really liked teh PFC 97 pads.

also Torsen rear diff won't help with the wheel lift, thought it should help in other aspects. to deal with the wheel lift you'll need a clutch type LSD like the Stasis one.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not sure which ferodo pads they were, I bought them from spartans4 at the last event....

and they were expensive so I was thinking they would hold up better but they are just way to soft for this car. On the other hand i'm not sure how well a hard pad would work with these rotors since they are showing alot of wear for only having two events on them. So the stassis lsd is the way to go? I'm not worried about the wheel lift as long as I can get power to the wheel thats on the ground.

Elijah
Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree but I need them to fit under stock wheels for winter. Anything bigger that will fit?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

DS3000's, they are a SOFT pad and wear quickly
Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Pooptech 332's aren't enough for a stg 3 car at the track Elijah, especially yours

Your are putting down more power with your hybrids than most and don't dial the boost down to K03 levels for track events. That and you actually push the car at the track.

As for the LSD if your having noticable wheel lift then you'll want the clutch pack LSD. It's very expensive but that's the only way to really take care of the problem other than messing around with your suspension. I have the Quaife LSD which works great for me (no wheel lift) and it's much cheaper. It sounds like you need a clutchpack lsd though
Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Get real track pads, & get more rear brake, soften up the suspension

or add some more droop travel to keep the tire on the ground.

A clutch type LSD will help you put the power down when the wheel lifts.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wheel lift + torsen = no forward motion.

You need our plate type LSD...
Old 10-01-2007, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

^^^^ i agree with this poster. clutch type LSD all the way.

Quick Reply: Good day at the track, now I need torsen rear diff...(Long)