S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

great experience. I was just working on my car and a guy walks by....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just for your info, when I went to work for VWOA at Port/Wilmington in 1993,

the total VWAG output to the USA was less than
5% of total world wide sales. They suffered from
the 'sudden acceleration' thing in the late ??
and finally decided to make a run for a share
of the US market, they purchased a plant in Mexico from Studebaker and have 14,000 people
there, all VW products are made there except
Passat and the Jetta Wolfsburg edition.
they Even make 150 1975 beetles per day, yes 1975
for sale in Brazil and other NON emission countries. I would say the decision has really paid off for them, and of course for us....
Tom
Old 07-04-2002, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Barney, do you still work for VWOA? Your info on production is innacurate and old

The following US imported VW cars are not made in Mexico:

Eurovan - Hannover

Golf IV - 337 - Wolfsburg

Golf IV - 1.8T - Wolfsburg

Golf IV - VR6 - Wolfsburg

And the 1999 Golf IV 2.0 - Wolfsburg

And as you stated, the entire Passat line is made in Germany.

VW operates five plants in Brazil and employs 26,800 workers, and has plants in Argentina, Germany, Mexico and South Africa. The Golf is produced in various forms at all of the plants.

VW also owns Audi, Seat, Scania Trucks, Skoda, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Rolls Royce, which becomes 100% BMW's in on Jan 1, 2003 (name and production are currently under license to BMW as we speak).

The audi "sudden acceleration" BS public relations problem happened in late 1985 and went on through 1986, thanks to "60 Minutes".

Mike S
Old 07-04-2002, 08:46 AM

Default i lived in my Apt for two months & didn't meet a single neighor.....

but the second i start working on my car in the garage i met four within a week
Old 07-04-2002, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mikey is in the know!! hahahaha
Old 07-04-2002, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just know the products I work with. Tend to read up on the financial reports as well
Old 07-04-2002, 03:08 PM

Default Got your email and I guess you want a reply, so here it is. thanks Mike

Info old and out of date?? How so?
Yes I am still employed by them, I am just one of the front line workers, not in management,
wasn't trying to give a world wide corporate lecture, just what has gone on in general since 1993, when they decided to make a 'run' for some more of the US market,
didn't think anybody would be interested in what goes on in other parts of
the world, just what effects the USA in general, VW has transferred more and more
of their production of the (non passat) line to mexico for the US market in
an ongoing manner, they started with only the basic Jetta, then added the beetle(new)
then slowly added the golf line, then the carbriolet, etc (still producting the old beetle)
They still have signature cars made in Germany and I assume will continue
to do so, We had a Manager from the Brazil works for a while at the beginning,
as well as techs and engineers for the Audi cabriolet division, passat and Jetta/Golf VR6,
they come and go as do Mexican managers and engineers, when ever there are
problems encountered or Campaigns to perform. Nice of you to add everything
you know about the system, I have only been interested in the USA section.
And something you may not know is that the port of Boston is closed and VWOA
is building a new facility in Rhode Island, all the cars for the northeast are presently
entering via port of Wilmington Delaware until construction is completed. As are most Audis headed for the west coast which come in to wilmington and are Autostacked to shipment
west.
I have seen things change overnight then change back just as quickly, depending
on who is in charge and who or whom wants things done a certain way.
Thanks for responding with additional information.
Tom If I have any 'new' information about what is going on or what is going to happen, I usually try to post it here just to let any interested parties know.
Old 07-04-2002, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the info. My only concern was that you stated that many models were made in mexico

that are actually still German made, which is a big issue in my book. I personally would much rather have a German made VW, than a Mexican made one.

The same thing goes for Audi and Porsche. I would rather have a Germand made audi, than a chinese (though they are not exported anywhere) or hungarian (these are exported to many places), or a German made Porsche over a Finish assembled one.

Just my opinion, and I wanted to set the record straight.

Thanks for the response.

Mike S
Old 07-04-2002, 03:39 PM

Default I agree, they still have a lot of quality control problems in Mexico, I was very surprised

when they moved the VW cabriolet production there,
as far as I know, the Golf GTI-VR6 is still made in germany, and I haven't seen any Jetta wolfsburg editions for a long time. We all have to remember that VWAG is a Business and whatever
can make them the most money is what they will eventually do.although, I know personaly they are
very 'aware' of how they handle employees, goes back to 1946, the Mexicans went on strike last year for better wages, in 1995 & 96, we had a lot of Mexican workers here for a problem with gas tanks sucking shut, these guys were extatic over the money they were getting, their food allowance here was more than they were making back home!!! at that time, they were making about $1.75 (US) per hour in Mexico...although they also get housing, cafeteria, and every thing you can think of in a company type town. as an added bit, they have different colors of coveralls for the employees, so management knows when someone is in an area they are not supposed to be<G>
Don't want to go any further with that.