S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

H&R 8mm spacer install help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R 8mm spacer install help...

I am trying to install these spacers on my S4 and wanted to know if they are supposed to have an outward facing flange to meet the inside of the wheel? The wheel does not seem to 'hang' on the exposed bit of hub where it once rested without the spacer.

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-27-2002, 03:02 PM

Default are you sure you got the hubcentric spacers??(M)

i got the 8mm hubcentic spacers from H&R. Mine have the lip for the rim to rest on...where did you get yours from??

Rob
Old 11-27-2002, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: are you sure you got the hubcentric spacers??(M)

I got them from Euro-Car Service in Ohio, and it seems as though they sent the wrong parts.

The spacers that I have are beveled on the inside just as the wheel is in order to fit on the hub. The outsides are flat.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:28 PM

Default i got mine from ECS tuning but i got the hubcentirc ones...(M)

send them back and ask for the hubcentric ones. They work great and i have no vibration problems

Rob
Old 11-27-2002, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default do you remember the part number? (More)

I have 16255571 C, there wasn't any indication during the order process of hubcentric on non-hubcentric and there is no mention of it on their site.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You may be in trouble here........

The 8mm H&R spacer are designed to be hubcentric in that one side of the spacer is tapered in. That tapered-in side faces to the outside. This would allow a corresponding hubcentric wheel to "fit into" that space and rest on the wheel hub. Look at the spacer and think of the wheel hub having the corresponding shape to fit. Now....if you have stock S4 wheels, they will not lock into the tapered space provided by the H&R spacers. In fact, if you look at the hub portion of the wheel, you will see that it is exactly the OPPOSITE geometry of what you need to lock into the H&R spacer. My BBS RKII, for instance, fit perfectly with the H&R spacer, the stock wheels do not. Basically, the stock wheels will not sit on the hub if you use a spacer. It will be aligned and supported solely by the lug nuts. This may produce a little vibration at higher speed, and almost certainly is less than optimal in terms of load bearing. Whether it is dangerous or not I don't know. That depends on the strength of the bolts since the enitre weight of your car is now on the bolts and not at all on the hub. Bottom line is that some wheel/spacer combinations are a perfect fit and will work safely and effectively, and some won't. H&R spacers wont't properly fit with the stock wheels.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you have stock wheels, if so.....

The wheels may not actually be resting on the hub. Check out your spare wheel and look at the geometry of the hub. The axle hub is about 12mm. With an 8mm spacer, you would have 4mm left to rest the wheel, however....the wheel hub is tapered in the wrong direction by about 3-4mm leaving no contact between wheel hub and axle hub
Old 11-27-2002, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well it would seem that I have the wrong spacers...

I specifically asked this of ECS via email...told them that my wheels were stock and was told that they would work. So to make sure that I understand this correctly, H&R does not make spacers that work with stock S4 wheels? If this is the case, who does make the spacers that will work with the stock wheels.

Thanks for the help...
Old 11-27-2002, 03:56 PM

Default I have 5mm H&R spacers and on the spacer it says "THIS SIDE FACING CAR"

on the tapered in side. So I have my spacers on with the tapered in side facing towards the car. Is this wrong?
Old 11-27-2002, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 8's dont have anything indicating which side faces the car

Quick Reply: H&R 8mm spacer install help...