S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Had an odd meeting with two semi trucks yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had an odd meeting with two semi trucks yesterday.

Was coming back from North Platte NE towards Denver yesterday on I-70 and traffic was pretty light. I was doing about 77 mph and came upon two semis that were side by side with only a few cars behind them. The SUV immediately behind the semi in the left lane kept moving back and fourth, as if he was getting impatient. Not thinking much of it, I just waited for them to get passed each other. Well 15 minutes later, the trucks are still side by side. Neither was making any effort to get passed the other. I'm starting to get pissed at this point as we are doing 65 in a 75. 30 minutes has now passed and they are both side by side still and my rearview mirror is filled with cars staked up quite a ways back. I considered maybe they were helping law enforcement, but for 30 minutes? One was an overland food truck, the other was some LTL carrier. It was becoming clear that neither truck was going to pass and the smart thing to do would have been call the authorities. Since I'm not smart, I make my way over to the right lane which has a fairly large paved shoulder, grabbed for 3rd gear, and passed on the right. I got back into the right lane and slowed down to force the semi on the right to slow down. The dude in the left lane was matching our slowing speeds, but then eventually passed. He used his blinker and moved into the right lane just as if nothing happened. Everyone was waving and giving me the thumbs up as I'm sure some of those people had superbowl plans they were trying to make.

I pulled up next to the guy that was in the left lane, and he was a middle aged and clean cut looking guy. He just looked at me with a blank stare. I have zero idea WTF they were doing.

I had to stop for gas somewhere, and eventually passed them again but they were a half mile apart at that point. So it doesn't seem like they were driving together.

Anyone encounter anything like this? I had this *exact* same thing happen when I was driving back to MN in December. Figured the first time it was just something bizarre, but to happen twice? Both times it happened in NE too.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

my guess is they were being d-bags for the fun of it. so you passed on the shoulder?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 AM

Default Smooth move. I've had the same thing happen on I-80 actually for about 20 minutes...

I didn't pass them on the right but I did lay on the horn a few times and they finally got the hint. I think they were just being *****...
Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Truck passing zones maybe?

States should post truck passing zones whereby semis could pass each other in an expedient manner. This would eliminate the side by side antics you describe, up hill passing which usually drops speeds to 50MPH or slower, and the pass at 1 MPH faster than the other guy is going.

All of these really **** me off too and I applaude your taking control of the situation and making it right for all the poor bastards stuck behind these two ******.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah. I had images of "Final Destination" type scenarios going through my head.

Like I catch a nail, blow a tire, and swerving under the trailer only to get run over. Maybe it wasn't the smartest move, but often times when my adrenaline is pumping, "**** it" is all the rational I need.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah. Im always worried there is someone with a flat sitting on the shoulder..

or something similar. Not to mention NSP's are the worst to deal with by far. Glad you got around them bastards safely and there wasnt a state patrol sitting in front of them. =)
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 AM
spa

would read agian, lol at the smart thing to do... well written
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You are a hero. You saved the day!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sometimes troopers will ask truckers to do that. If there is an accident ahead or something.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice. What a couple of tools.

Quick Reply: Had an odd meeting with two semi trucks yesterday.