S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Has anybody done a brake-light turn-off mod (so that cops don't know you're using a radar detector)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody done a brake-light turn-off mod (so that cops don't know you're using a radar detector)?

If so, were there any problems?
I did one of these on an '87 Mustang GT (when it was new), and the brake light turn-off would disable the brake turn-off for the cruise control, but that was generally not a problem.
Will the S4 display all kinds of warnings if the brake lights are disabled (temporarily) while driving?
I was thinking that on the '00 S4, the switch place where the '01 cars have an ESP switch would be a good place for the brake-light-turn-off.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 03-19-2001, 02:57 AM

Intriguing... someone tell me more
Old 03-19-2001, 03:29 AM

Default My concern with messing with the switch would be confusing the ESP, forget the cruise control!

You could add relays to disconnect the actual bulbs without problems, I would think. Worse case, you might have to switch in load resistors to replace the bulbs, if the dash notices the bulbs are missing.
Old 03-19-2001, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default IMO, not worth it, brake lights or not, a cop will notice the deceleration when you brake suddenly

they are there to catch you in the act of speeding. If they have a visual on you and a lock on of your speed, they already have all they need to bust you. Now, if you stand on the brakes, brake lights or not, they will see that pretty S4's nose dive towards the pavement, and you've just admitted your guilt.
In over 15 years of high-speed driving, the only tickets I've gotten (3 in all) were times when I didn't have my detector with me. I now have my V1 firmly secured to my windshield.
I personally think (no flame here, just my opinion) that it's better to get a good radar detector, a little CB radio and drive alert. When you pick up even the slightest warnings (with the V1 you'll be able to tell false alarms from the real deal instantly) reduce your speed slightly. If you get hit with a full-on instant-on blast do nothing. Why? Because you'll never be able to react fast enough to slow down in an instant-on attack. If you didn't pick up another car being hit by instant-on up the road a ways, you're toast. Don't bother standing on the brakes, because more than likely the trooper has a good hiding spot and can see you but not vice-versa. Just continue on like you weren't aware of the hit. Now, if the trooper comes out after you, then you remove the detector and put it under your seat, do this before you even pull over, just don't make it look like you're trying to stash a gun away. You can then use the excuse, "I'm sorry officer, I wasn't aware how fast I was driving" and it's plausible. You weren't alerted to your rapid rate until you saw the lights behind you.
If you get hit with instant on, then you light up the brakes (or in the case you have no brake lights, your car dips suddenly) the trooper isn't stupid, they know that you're trying to slow down rapidly, and they still bust you. Because the only way you'd know he was there is if you had a detector.
I've found that if you get pulled over for even 10 over, if you have a detector visible, you are getting a ticket. No fast-talking will help you there.
But then again this is my opinion.
Old 03-19-2001, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Think the dash will notice unless you complete the bulb circuit and break

the light signal at the socket. Any detectable short on my lighting system is relayed to the display or does a fast/opposing flash with the signal bulbs if crossed(can test by placing a bulb in backwards or 180 deg turned in socket).

I guess if the warning lamp is the only thing affected than it really shouldn't matter though.

Don't know about ESP - shouldn't be affected if light circuit is modded at the bulb site.
Old 03-19-2001, 05:29 AM

Why not just use the emergency brake - it's quite efficient.
Old 03-19-2001, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you pull on it like mad, perhaps (m)

I have tried it and it really doesn't do much for slowing you down...

Hey the darn thing can not even hold the car on a hill!!
(Only way I get it to hold is by applying the brakes HARD, and at the same time pulling on the ebrake all the way up, gives me the feeling it would break!!)

On the other hand, doing something like this wouldn't be too hard:

Wire a relay so it would disrupt (or re-route) the signal to the tail lights and whenever you 'activate' the circuit it would 'open' so they won't come on, if the dash bitches, then simply wire some bulbs to the 'rerouted' signal (the closed contacts), those bulbs would be inside the car, so cop won't see them from outside and car wouldn't know better about the bulbs 'gone'.

Regardless, usually, brake lights or not, you are DONE by the time you have time to react.

If anybody thinks all it takes is 'fooling' the cops, they have not seen it all yet.

I simply decided to be smarter then the cops (speed only when I am aware, vigilant, know the road and some traffic ahead, etc.), if I were to have to use a stunt like this, it means they were the smart ones....
Old 03-19-2001, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is what I do... :-)
Old 03-19-2001, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Check your brake. Mine grips like hell.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:05 AM

I also "downshift"

Quick Reply: Has anybody done a brake-light turn-off mod (so that cops don't know you're using a radar detector)?