S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

HATE MY APR CHIP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default That's true but hell even you were told the issue was your car, so did Will

Just takes a bit of know how to figure the stuff out
Old 03-02-2003, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And a spare parts SUV ;) Any REAL shop should be able to diagnose something

like that. My problem was a little funky. With a bad program, you'd think it just wouldn't work. Dunno, but his definitely sounds like a mech. issue.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you're hearing a "Whooshing" sound.....you have a leak of some sort. What year is your S4?

There are many APR chips, as well as GIAC, MTM and Abt that don't have that problem. If you're hearing a "whooshing" sound, you have some mechanical problem. Could be a bad F-hose, lower IC hose, bad BPV, leaking Boost sensor, even a leaking IC.

Where are you? I'm sure someone on this board local to you would be more than happy to help you out. Why take the hit of selling the car instead of just fixing it and having it run right?

Help us, help you.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:06 PM

Default I had the exact same problem

Despite the TBB being almost perfect on visual inspection, when I removed it, it had a 3" rip UNDER the clamp. Have you looked? If you pressure test the intake, it can pinpoint the leak. Buy the pressure tester at www.awe-tuning.com. It will tell you exactly where the problem is. I have the APR chip and after I fixed the leak, it was like I had been reborn. Don't give up yet.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:18 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Simple...there is a problem with your car, and the APR chip uncovered it.

Your APR dealer should be able to help you diagnose the issue with your car. If they aren't, find another mechanic, but there is a 0.01% chance that the code is causing your issues. The code pushes the car to run harder, and if everything isn't tip top, you're gonna know about it (and now you know about it).
Old 03-02-2003, 04:18 PM

Default Here's my deal...

I bought the car, an '01, with my wife and the agrement that I would not touch it while it was under warranty. At 30k per year, it was worth letting her have it for 18 months or so...then it would be MINE!!!!

Anyway, the car has been SOOO problematic (the list of warranty items is endless, not to mention a useless dealership, they left my keys in the igntion one night and left me a flat tire another night) that i have not dared to touch it. I cannot jeopordize the waranty. I know that there is a problem, a boost leak or something, but cannot find anyone who can find it. I don't have time to search endlessly for some one to help out or go to another dealer. I'm kind of stuck.

I am in Southern Maine and would gladly pay someone to help out. I will be out of warranty in a few months and will begin the transformation this summer but until then, I'm just dealing with it.

I would love to try another brand of chip, but again, the $$$ and the fear that something wil pop up and my buddy at the dealership will find a way to void the warranty when I know that there is a problem. 44,000 miles and counting, I hope something blows soon...

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Tom
Old 03-02-2003, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Probably not directly chip related.. 2 things to check..

1. The N75 solenoid valves in S4's seem to be set to a level that allows stock boost to behave normally in almost all cars. There are occassions where the solenoid valve can even cause problems with stock boost! After chipping or even just an exhaust upgrade sometimes, the car can initially over boost which causes a soft limp mode.. ie. reduced boost. If the N75 valve tolerance is too far out, you will eventually get a hard limp mode, which results in a positive boost deviation DTC.

I recently had to replace my N75 valve because i broke the original one over adjusting it. The default setting on the replacement valve caused over boost even with the stock program because of my 3" exhaust system. I calibrated the N75 with a screw driver using VAG-COM and several test drives to determine requested boost vs actual.
Once i got to within 30mbars of requested boost consistently, I put the Wetterauer chip back in and went through the same process. I now get consistent boost at the correct levels from 2000rpm through to redline. The N75 is a very very sensitive solenoid, and requires very tight tolerences to work properly. A fact that can make 2 cars with the same mods and chips behave entirely differently!

2. The other possible cause is a boost leak or leaking/stuck/broken by-pass-valve.

I wouldnt suspect any vacuum leaks, as the car will usually behave differently than what you've described, although it is still worth checking.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Simple...there is a problem with your car, and the APR chip uncovered it.

That has been my attitude all along, but how do I cruise into the delaership and anounce that? "Hey, I installed this chip and now the car is creating soooo much boost and making the turbos spin faster than you say they should and it isn't running right...is it warranteed?" AAAGGGHHHH !! it's a double edged sword and either way I lose.

Just to help clarify things, my dealer has been through 5 service managers since I bought my car.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:28 PM

Default Re: I had the exact same problem

It has been the same for almost a year and a half. Wouldn't the tear get worse? Again, I can't replace the TBB myself because my dealer ( AAGGGHHH !) will blame all subsequent problems on my medling hands.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you replace a torn TBB your dealer will never be the wiser.

Quick Reply: HATE MY APR CHIP !!!