S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Have been searching the archieves and doing some reading about Harnesses. I have read the

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have been searching the archieves and doing some reading about Harnesses. I have read the

discussions and it seems some think 4 point is a safe option to hold you in place at the track others do not. Disregarding the issue of the vertical belts pulling the lap belt into the organs for a moment, I would like to ask a question about the "spinal compression" issue of mounting the belts to the back-seat-belt locations rather than a preferred roll bar or cage. I read that you should not just bolt the belt to sheet metal, cause it will just rip the metal out in a crash. However, I was wondering if it would be possible to utilize any mounting points on the rear deck? Maybe where the "child seat anchors" are? Or maybe one of the child seat anchors and the location of the top belt tensioner or something? I feel like if you could anchor to it, the rear deck is the perfect height to avoid spinal compression. Anyway, I am a n00b, so what do you guys think? Any opinions or comments about harnesses in general?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm just not a fan of aftermarket belts w/o a roll cage.

* the subaru rollover at lime rock video as well as witnessing the aftermath of a couple of rollovers convinced me that roofs do cave in, and if you don't have a roll cage, you run the risk of your neck being snapped.

* I don't know how the car will crumple in a serious accident well enough for me to second guess the manufacturer's belt. e.g. you mention the rear belts, but what if the front and back get compressed or flex or expand? is your body capable of being the cushion for these unexpected incidents?

* so harnesses need roll cages... that is my opinion.