S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Have to replace the windshield,- any advice or caveats . the Insurance Co has put me in touch with

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to replace the windshield,- any advice or caveats . the Insurance Co has put me in touch with

PPG -- I then have to select the installer from a list. Some Questions --
1. Is PPG as far as you know = to the OEM quality
2. Is the color of the tint and cross hatch pattern the same -- PPG (the girl on the phone) said it was. Yeh! I really have confidence in that!
Help -- Thanks
Old 10-23-2000, 12:14 PM

Only get Sigla, with the grey tint. The PPG glass is not the same. Trust me.
Old 10-23-2000, 12:16 PM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Default Corey: could you elaborate? Who is Sigla, and where do you get their stuff?

I'm assuming they're not the OEM, since the OEM glass seems to be Pinkerton.

What's wrong with the PPG glass?
Old 10-23-2000, 12:20 PM

Default Sigla is OEM, I thought. At least mine is. Sharon, can you help here?

She's had more windshields replaced than I have. :-P

The PPG glass has the green tint, and does not have a dot in the middle where the rearview mirror attaches (the dot hides the wiring behind the mirror mount).
Old 10-23-2000, 12:30 PM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Default If I'm sans-autodimming mirror, and I don't mind green tint, is PPG okay?

Since my S4 doesn't have the Convenience package, my rearview mirror doesn't have any wires to be hidden.

As such, is the quality of the PPG glass up to snuff? No waves/distortion like the OEM windshields? I might be willing to live with green tint if the glass has good optical clarity.

As for who the OEM is: perhaps the windshields are from Sigla, and I wasn't looking close enough. My side windows are definately Pinkerton, though.

PS: I am probably misspelling "Pinkerton," as a quick Google search doesn't turn up much of that word being used in context with auto glass.
Old 10-23-2000, 12:35 PM

Default Just talked to the dealer he says that Siga is the OEM glass and is getting me a price on it.

Will let you know what the differance is.
Old 10-23-2000, 12:43 PM

Green tint with nogaro?!? Not on *my* car
Old 10-23-2000, 12:43 PM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've recently talked to my dealer about OEM glass.

Their computer shows that there is only one windshield part for 2000 A4s/S4s -- and it's got a green tint band. The price they quoted me was $238.50.

Someone here on the forum mentioned a while ago that it was thought that the grey-tinted windshields were a JIT part from a different supplier and can't actually be ordered through the normal parts channel. Any truth to this?

Does anyone have a a reference to an S4 windshield part with the grey trim that has a separate part number from the A4 glass?
Old 10-23-2000, 12:46 PM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Default Granted, I'm not thrilled about it.

But if I can get higher-quality glass than OEM, then it's a worthwhile consideration, IMHO -- aesthetic concerns aside.
Old 10-23-2000, 12:48 PM

Default Color tint distinguishes between the A4 & S4 windshields, however

I think the concern about PPG vs. Sigla (which is the OEM manufacturer for Audi, among others) is quality & fitment.

If you replace with Sigla, yeah you're getting the glass that seems to crack easily, but one you know is going to fit and not leak.

Good luck.

On my 4th Audi windshield and counting...

Quick Reply: Have to replace the windshield,- any advice or caveats . the Insurance Co has put me in touch with