S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Hello sirs...just acquired a....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello sirs...just acquired a....

...2004 Mini Cooper-S John Cooper Works (210 BHP) and it is total laugh riot (in a good way).
Factory performance mods are much cooler than I expected... Frightfully fast, as well as tight, and fun.

Less "refined" than the B5 S4 (of course), yet one tends to forget about "refined" when the "fun factor" kicks in. It only weighs 2800lbs. so it is alot less "pig" and alot more "Mini" (pun intended).

0-60mph in just under 6 seconds. Has only 7k+ miles on it, a 1.6L four banger, supercharged, with a 6spd.trans, sport+ suspension, 6 disc stacker + 1 disc AM/FM/Boost Harmon Kardon 6 speaker stereo system, self-leveling Xenons w/washers, black ext./grey & tan leather int., and more... Classic retro styling with modern panache... loaded to the gills with only NAV and chrome bezels absent from the total "S" options list.

My V1 is already hardwired in and the 3M color stable super dark tint is installed on all glass as well as the 2 sunroofs.

I am getting 24.8 mpg. city and 37 mpg highway with combined cycles running 29mpg. to 32mpg (depending on driving habits). Saving oodles of $$$ on fuel.

It was claustrophobic for the first two weeks and then I got use to it. It seems to be quite the attention-getter as well, though I wish it were not, as I am getting tired of answering questions most everytime I park somewhere. ;-)

Just thought a preliminary report was in order. I will post pics soon (if the mods allow them) and a followup in a couple of months.

That is all...
Old 03-15-2005, 06:49 PM

please post pics
Old 03-15-2005, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some pre-JCW pics are posted below...

It was too nasty today to take any more...

Will have some JCW pics as soon as the weather clears... :-)
Old 03-15-2005, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice...

I rented a Cooper S a couple years ago on my honeymoon, Fun! One of the few FWD cars I found fun to drive.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks Mike... (5-day MCS-JCW review incl.)

... It means a great deal coming from you.

I worried about the FWD aspect, but the MCS-JCW has proven to be very sure-footed thus far.

In the fullness of time all will be revealed. :-D

Now for the "review"...

210 BHP JCW Kit Installed (5 day "mini review")

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must say that any and all trepidation I had harboured has been displaced by a very satisfying warm fuzzy feeling (this must be what addicts experience with their respective drugs) and total abject exhilaration. I have finally learned the meaning of "giddy"... in the best of all possible ways. The car was pleasing to drive before JCW, but now it is a total rush.

Smooth acceleration, no more "S - stumble", 1st gear potency that I only use to dream of, smoothness and adequate power throughout the gears, a supercharger noise that I can describe as either "a melodic din", or as a "cacophony of shear delight"... or both ! The airbox (with the flap mechanism) kicks proverbial b*tt. Also, I was concerned that gas mileage would be adversely affected... concern entirely unwarranted... for the mpg has increased !

I thought the MCS's exhaust note would be louder... but it is not. It is mellow in tone, but has the capacity to produce an ear pleasing growl when summoned to do so with absolutely zero cabin resonance. It is quieter than my old MCS stock exhaust and looks 1000 times better ! Also, the tips are not overstated and look very very sweet.

I am totally stoked that I went the "factory route" and did not give in to the "less expensive temptation" of aftermarket performance mods (though I have indeed seen some of these aftermarket packages exceed the cost of JCW, as well as the H.P. and torque produced by the JCW, so I definitely do not find fault with those that would follow that route...)

IMHO, JCW rules.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Excellent! I'd love to shoe a JCW S, sounds like a blast ;)

The regular Cooper S was a riot in itself
Old 03-15-2005, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It was very surprising to me...

... just how much of a blast it really is !!!

Will post pics tomorrow... :-D
Old 03-15-2005, 08:47 PM
ATH
Elder Member

Time for exhaust, chip, pulley, cams, and throttle body ;-)
Old 03-15-2005, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ha. And you said you were thinking about a mini cause you wouldn't mod it. HA!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:52 PM

those cars are so fun to drive congrats! they are like go karts. absolutely incredible handling

Quick Reply: Hello sirs...just acquired a....