S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Help me build my Stage III s4

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes. They're simply a larger heat sink for the energy to be dumped into. The

tires are what are going to stop the vehicle. It's like upgrading the intercooler on this car, a larger mass provides more storage for all the heat energy, so it doesn't warm as fast when the energy is being dumped into it. Being larger there's then more surface area to shed that heat into the atmosphere more rapidly. The question is, when do you heat soak the IC, or brakes, to the point that they lose effectiveness. Depends on a bunch of things, which is why stating a BBK is needed is poor advice.

And the bit about the stock brakes being sloppy is purely personal opinion. If that were the case stainless steel brake lines would be a better upgrade than doing the entire big bucks brake upgrade to try and get rid of perceived sloppiness.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They don't look much bigger than stock in that pic.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you're out of your element

<inside joke of sorts, no offense to be taken >

I urge you to drive a car with
a) stock calipers
b) stock calipers with SS lines
c) stoptech/brembo calipers
d) alcon calipers

You will feel a difference between all of these arrangements. Calipers have a HUGE influence on how the driver is able to control braking - modulation, bite, release - when you get your car to dance on the fine line that defines the traction circle, having complete and accurate control of ALL of inputs (including braking) is of utmost importance.

Don't take my word for it though, go out and see for yourself. Having excellent brakes is kind of like having a Tivo - when you don't have them you don't think much about it, but once you have them, you can't live without them!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Rest In Peace

They'll be good for one stop from that speed. But that's about it...
Old 05-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Former Vendor

Default Sounds to me like you've never been in a tuned S4 before ! You do know that

brake horsepower can be measured, right ? A 400-500 hp, 3600 lb car needs all the brake horsepower it can get. If I had stock brakes on my S4 and went to the track, I'd be risking my life after one lap.

Stock S4 calipers are well built, but the rotors bow out very early when heated up.

You are giving out seriously bad advice here !!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default 2nd.

i melted a set of xdrs after two track days on 100oct
Old 05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 3rd

stock brakes suck ***. my A4 brakes were better albeit the car was much lighter
Old 05-02-2006, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i have yet to see the drop in IATs those coolers create

there seem to be alot of hype about them but i havent seen any real hard data about them. what is so special?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

How much are they?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Could you explain further how a car that is a daily driver must have

upgraded brakes simply because it has 400+ HP? I'm not following how brake size should be a function of engine horsepower.

The term 'brake horsepower' has nothing to do with the cars brakes, it refers to a 'brake' that is part of the measuring equipment to determine the engines horsepower level.

I don't believe I said upgraded brakes were absolutely unnecessary on a track. I said it depended on some things that we don't know. I accept that you may need upgraded brakes at a track, but that's a function of where and how you drive as well as the other parts on your car. The guy posting may not, just because you need larger brakes doesn't mean he does as well.

Quick Reply: Help me build my Stage III s4