S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Help me out here... S4 or E36 M3/4...(m)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out here... S4 or E36 M3/4...(m)

I've been looking at used S4's for a while, and with my current budget I can probably afford a 2000 S4 with about 30k miles, which are going for around mid $20k. I'm concerned about the reliability of the S, and with what I've read on this forum, there tends to be a lot of problems with 2000MY's. That said, I also started looking at some E36 M3 sedans lately, and I've found a couple of 1997MY with 50k miles for $20k. I can always get 3rd party warranties for the S, but that's another 2 grand out of my pocket, whereas if I get the M, I would still have money leftover. For S4'ers with both the M3 and S4, which would you recommend, RELIABILITY and VALUE wise? Reliability is probably the biggest issue for me. Keep in mind that the '97 M3 already has 50k and the 00' S4 will have about 30k miles.

Yes, I know if I wanted bulletproof reliability I should go japanese, but I'm talking more of major engine problems.

Theres also the option to buy a WRX since that also fits my price range and situation, but I'd rather be driving a german car
Old 07-14-2003, 01:23 AM

Default From what i've noticed on the forum, people tend to have issues when they become mod extensive.

Some 2000MY have weak F-hose. Some pople decide to upgrade the TBB as well.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:07 AM

Default My E36 M3 gave me NO problems...

But it requires that you are religious about maintenance. I only had the car for 30k miles and had no engine/drivetrain problems. Cannot say the same for my "s". HOWEVER, now that I have kids and live in the snowbelt, I would not go back. Plus...Once I put a chip in...whoah.

The E36 M3 is track ready stock. The S4 isn't. I have modified my S4 with better brakes, suspension and engine work. The stock M3 still gave me more confidence around the track. Two different cars.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Allways a crap-shoot with German cars. Both could be trouble-free.

Then again both the E36 and B5(A4/S4) platform have their quirks.

Wouldn't be looking at a German car if reliability is your main concern. Driving passion yes, reliability no.

Value is relative. All cars are baseball cards... to have value someone else has to want what you have enough to pay for it. Market still seems decent for both of these.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:13 AM
Maestro

Default one thing to keep in mind about German cars

is that most often failures are not dramatic (engine/drivetrain major components), but annoying electronics components failures that are difficult to diagnose/expensive to fix. Many aftermarket warranties will not cover them either
Old 07-14-2003, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

with your budget, I'd find a nice E36 M3
Old 07-14-2003, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where you are is important...(more)

I am not sure if even a good set of snow tires and a light right foot can control the back end of an M3 in Chicago winters (not sure where you are). I have never felt as safe and solid in winter driving as I have in my S4. This is the highest horsepower of all my previous cars, but the easiest to drive in snow.
Good trunk space, solid feel, predictable handling (for a "novice" driver like me).

But it comes down to what you want to look at every time you head for your car. I have never regretted my choice.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Two Diff cars, depends on where/what/why you want/need a new car... (both are nice) IMO
Old 07-14-2003, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well, what do you need?

I was looking at the following recently:

1)2002 M3, or even new. Note, 2 doors, crappy uncomfortable seat adjustments IMO...can't get it to tilt far at all backward. Interior is pretty good, but for 50k+, I would be expecting more. Worst radio of a stock car of this price ever...great power out of N/A and good handling of course. Can't debate that. Bad customer service...reliability issue with main bearing on the 2002s.

2)Get another IS300, new. Put Stage III turbo on it...350RWHP on 93oct no problems, and on an automatic at that....450RWHP on race gas..Eshift still no problem, stronger than manual. Downsides, cheapo plastic interior, not up to Lexus standards on other models. But, easily/highly modifiable, and 4 doors. Overall good reliable car. But, not euro either.

3)New C32AMG. Nice car, v-6 supercharger, 345hp, runs with the M3 closely, handles well, unbelievable brakes..Downside, man the seating position stinks in this also, can't tilt steering wheel far down also. Can't tilt seat far back, only level. For 55k+, expecting more..good service from Mercedes though and service warranty. Lexus does not do service warranty. But Lexus is the King of reliability.

4)Audi 2002 S4. The car I decided on and purchased. Good power, easily modifiable with little money relatively speaking. Best seats in the arena next to Porsche IMO (Recarro). Interior quality better than BMW, except 7 series new Bimmer. Interior way better than IS300, similar quality to Mercedes, without all the Mercedes quirks...solid ride and car all around...you can't say that about any Japanese car...no comparison on the tank like build of German cars.

Also, I need a 4-door, got kids. M3, just wasn't impressed for the money. Same with Mercedes...Audi better than IS300...

So, S4 owner now.

Also, if possible, get a car with existing manufacturer warranty, piece of mind for the next 1-2 years if it is used even. After market warranties I found never got my money out of it...just save money every month in case you have problems.

Lastly, if you can't afford a car pay for the maintenance, upkeep, insurance etc...then you are looking at something you shouldn't have..just practical...
Old 07-14-2003, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Find ROCKCENTER and ask. This is his area of expertise. Hint, he sold two E36 M3s to get S4.

Quick Reply: Help me out here... S4 or E36 M3/4...(m)