S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

HELP!!! My S4 was stolen last night! (no joke)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! My S4 was stolen last night! (no joke)

I'm in New Jersey and was at the Kinko's on Rte 22 in Springfield for almost two hours and when I came back out my car was gone. The alarm system was activated so I have no idea how they did this without causing a scene, nor how they hot-wired it so quickly. Best I can figure it happened about 9:00 PM. I had parked in front of the store, right next to the highway where there was tons of traffic, and also lots of people moving about. The real kicker is that the store has huge front windows where I could look out and see the car, which I did several times to check on it. But I hadn't checked for about 45 min before I went to leave, so that's when they did it. I of course called the police, filed a report, and notified my insurance company immediately. I am in shock, disbelief really. This was the first car that I bought on my own and was kind of my reward to myself for making it through graduate school and getting a job. The car meant a lot to me. Now, don't get me wrong, cars are replaceable and I'm glad nobody was hurt (just think if I would have stumbled upon them doing it, I could have been stabbed or shot!)...but I know most of you will feel my pain. A big problem is that the car was an '01 that I bought earlier this year, but I financed it. So my payments since then probably have really only gone to pay the interest and not the principal. So if the insurance company only gives me blue book (or some depreciated value), I'm assuming I'll be completely screwed finacially. Does anyone know how this works? Who else here has had a financed (not leased) car stolen? How am I going to get a comparable S4 with the insurance settlement? Anyone know how the window-etching program works? Do I need to report this to AOA or my dealer somehow? Please, someone give me some information/advice. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2001, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: sorry to hear that .. i wish i knew more about this kinda $hit! but so far i think you have

taken all the right steps..
Old 10-31-2001, 10:45 AM

Default I think your S4 is the 3rd one in last few months in NJ to be stolen

Back in March someone tried to break in my car too. I live NJ.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:46 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much under MSRP did you pay for your S4?

And even though your loan has a large part that is paid as interest, still probably over half of each of your payments has been for principal. Only really long term things, like home mortgages, have a very insignificant principal portion at first.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Find a new one quick and put a deposit on it. Fax your original sales reciept to the insurance

company and request two checks - one to pay off your loan and one to cover the difference between that loan and the sales receipt price. I bet your new payments will be less on a new 2001 (low interest now) or lease w/great money factors - or get a 2002 and the payments will be about the same. Because your car is so new - there is no blue book listing yet - you should demand full sale value.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It wasn't towed?! Sorry to hear man!
Old 10-31-2001, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess that's a possibility, but I didn't notice any tow trucks...

...of course, I didn't notice anyone breaking into it either. Sigh...
Old 10-31-2001, 10:54 AM
Elder Member

Default damn...sorry to hear man. i used to live 15 mins from there.

never thought springfield was such a bad area (thought it IS next to Union where another S4 was stollen not so long ago as a recall..and yes on rt. 22). btw, most likely your car was flatbedded outta there withough you knowing. its not so easy to break in and hardwire without casuing a scene. i dont' know what you can do excpet call your insurance company....good luck.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good point...hopefully you're right and the $ turns out okay. BTW, $2925 below MSRP back in March.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A coworker's mom's Lexus GS400 was also stolen yesterday from Livingston Mall. She was in the mall

for 1 hour. Sorry to hear about it.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! My S4 was stolen last night! (no joke)