S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

HELP! Wheel Damage from a Car Wash... Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 09:38 PM
KNG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Wheel Damage from a Car Wash... Beware!

This afternoon I brought my car into a local "upscale" carwash to have my car waxed. I do this every 2-3 months because my car is parked outside and so I want to protect it from the elements. But this was the first time I
have brought it anywhere since I purchased my new BBS CH rims...

After placing my order with the attendant and leaving my car in the hands of the car washers, I decided to stick around to make sure my car was treated properly. After it was vacuumed, a who worked as a soaper in the "tunnel" with dirty pants and wet shoes got into my car to drive it in. Just then a scary thought occurred to me - is
he going to damage the rims when he drives the car onto the rails??? At that point it was too late, I saw him pull the car in.... so I waited until the car came out the other end and I took a close look. My worst fear was confirmed
- the rails has left a large gash in my new rim!!! After later going to back to inspect the rail system, I figured out what happened: drivers merely point the left front wheel into the y-shaped channel at the beginning of the rail
system which straightens the car out and pulls it along the conveyor. But, if the car isn't straight, which it mostly isn't, the wheel is forcefully straightened out as it hits either side of the y-shaped rail. This may be ok with most cars or SUV's who have thick sidewalls, but cars with low profile rims and tires are very susceptible to damage.

Immediately, I called the supervisor over to check out the damage. Of course, he said that he didn't think that his machines made the gash. In fact, he said that the gash looked dirty and therefore old, meaning that I brought the
car in like that. Like all of you, I know where every flaw is on my car and exactly when and where it occurred - no way did I have that before. Moreover, the gash was dirty either because 1) scratched aluminum looks dark gray or
dirty 2) the grease and dirt of the rails left dirt in the gash. After much staring and denying, the guy said that he could not do anything for me. He told me to go back tomorrow to speak with the general manager.

I am afraid that tomorrow the GM will not do anything for me. At this point, it is my word against that of his men. Although I essentially saw the damage occur, there is nothing I can do to "prove" that his machines did that
to my wheel. In retrospect, I feel kinda stupid for taking my car to a car wash that still uses rails, but what can a guy do if he doesn't have enough time to do his own Zaino treatment? Do you guys take your cars to "regular" car
washes like this? I am so mad that my perfect rims are "ruined" because of some stupid car wash. Anyone have suggestions or similar experiences? Thanks for listening, and BEWARE of car washes with rails!!!
Old 10-04-2000, 09:43 PM

Default Re: HELP! Wheel Damage from a Car Wash... Beware!

Firstly you can get that repaired for $100... thats if it is only one wheel. Also you should always ask for hand wash and not machine wash. If this really is an 'upscale' carwash then they should offer both. Do you have any pics of the damaged wheel?
Old 10-04-2000, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lesson learned...NEVER go to an automated carwash...I learned the hard way too, long ago

you can have the wheel fixed perfecty for about $100-130 by sending out to the Wheel Collision Center in Pennsylvania.

C/D did a VERY favorable review of them about 4-5 yeras ago

I don't have a # or URL but I'm sure a search engine can find it for you

Bummer man,
cheer up
remember it's still just a car =D
Old 10-04-2000, 09:47 PM

can't you check to see if the rails have some aluminum debris on them, from your wheels?
Old 10-04-2000, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Surprised S4 owner's manual doesn't mention this...

The TT owners manual specficially tells you <b>not</b> to use automated car washes with rails for this very reason. Since the Avus wheels stick out even farther from the tire than TT wheels do, I'm surprised Audi didn't include such a warning in the S4 manual as well...
Old 10-04-2000, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Tell them you WITNESSED and HEARD it scrape as it entered, as your proof - be adamant
Old 10-04-2000, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

oops, meant to post above
Old 10-05-2000, 12:08 AM
KNG

Default Thanks! Any good wheel repair shops in SF Bay Area?

Although I still do not know whether this place will take any responsibility, I assume wheel repair will sound more reasonable than wheel replacement. Has anyone tried wheel repair before? Does this work for all wheels like BBS? Wish me luck, and thanks again for the tips...
Old 10-05-2000, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same thing happened to me - don't go to Royal Coach Touchless in San Rafael
Old 10-05-2000, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

a few posts down Los Gatos S4 recommended Wheel Techniques in Campbell

Quick Reply: HELP! Wheel Damage from a Car Wash... Beware!