S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Hey guys, HELP -- I need your advice re:another S4( TIA)!... (long..sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys, HELP -- I need your advice re:another S4( TIA)!... (long..sorry)

Hey Guys,
About 3 years ago picked up my dream S4. Actually drove from Ohio to Georgia b/c it was totally clean and CPO'ed. (i'm a "non-chipping" kinda guy and love having a warranty)

Fast forward about 3 years... I am addicted to Audiworld (the B5 forum!) and love the B5 S4 even more than the day I bought it. (B5 untill i die, simple)

Here's my prob:I've developed a bad case of "nogaro-itis".
I love my laser, it's been an awesome car and the CPO has more than paid for itself.. think I want to try something new ; - ) (nothing against red cars, it's a work of art, my jaw just drops whenever I see another b5 nogaro on the road ;-)

Anyway, I just dropped my old salesman a line saying that if he ever comes across a clean nogaro to give me a jingle, maybe if the timing was right, I'd be interested- - with the CPO up in the next year, I thought it might be a nice thing to have.

(I know how rare these cars are to find.. figured it's a long shot, but i'm an optimist)

I do trust this salesman a lot -- he gave me the "lowdown" about chipping when I got the car to ensure me a good ownership experience - he even connected me to the previous owner of my current S4 -- I knew the history extremely well -- there have been so surprises. He was a straight shooter with me and a great guy during the transaction

Make a long story short (thanks for still reading) -- gets back to me today, an associate has a perfect '01 nogaro, 54k miles, sport package, garage kept he's selling privatley.

THE CATCH: it's got an MTM "stage 1" chip and "Riley" suspension setup. He tells me the previous owner was a test driver for Joset Racing. (oh yeah, the guy wants 26k for it)

I email him back and say, maybe this isn't the "right fit". I dont have plans on chipping (even though it would be awesome!) - perhaps a clean CPO'ed S4 would be a better fit. He emails me back saying they could get a aftermarket warranty company to make it "just as good as a CPO".

As much as I want to get a nogaro, i dont know if this would be the right choice. Sorry for rambling/wasting your time - - i do realize MTM is a more "mild" chip <flamesuit on>. Any advice/thoughts greatly appreciated. Anyone have any other similar experiences?

Thanks much guys -- this is an awesome forum that has taught me so much. (I've got CPO for another year, pushing 62k miles on my laser...it's clean and been a great car) Right now I'm leaning towards just staying where I am.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:34 AM

why are you so against chipping? as for info on the MTM stfa
Old 03-13-2006, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i'm just overally paranoid about blowing the turbos.. i know, I've been STFA re: MTM chip...

it is very tempting, IMHO prob the best choice for me if I was to chip
Old 03-13-2006, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

wuss.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i know, i know. i feel if i ever chipped, there would be no going back ;-)

and i would become totally obsessed (especially considering all the time i spend reading this board)

;-)
Old 03-13-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbos will blow, period. Might as well enjoy having a chip until they do
Old 03-13-2006, 11:48 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I would stick with your current car...

If there are two colors that are destined to get chipped, they are Imola and Nogaro. (just a hunch...) I'll be a long search to find the car you're looking for. Until then, the present car is serving you well...don't dump it unless you are getting exactly what you want.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

good advice..I just need to hear it from someone else (that color just seduces me so much)
Old 03-13-2006, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i'll tell ya man, I love that hibuscus red too!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default don't chip and stop reading this stuff....I thought all I'd need was a chip....

a few years later, I'm stage III with lots of other goodies too - worth the fun IMO.

Quick Reply: Hey guys, HELP -- I need your advice re:another S4( TIA)!... (long..sorry)