S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Hey NASA, good point on Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey NASA, good point on Porsche...

From Autoextremist.com

Porsche. The "What, Me Worry?" Grand Prize Winners, International division. Porsche continues blissfully along on its path to self-destruction. Being the most aggressive of the German car companies when it comes to their creative use of the option sheet to gouge their customers (if Porsche could figure out a way to charge you for the options you didn't specify, they wouldn't hesitate to do it), Porsche has demonstrated an incredible propensity to become steeped in their own arrogance. Nobody does "price creep" better than Porsche. Example? When it first came out, the Boxster was a triumphant return to Porsche's historic roots, but in the ensuing five years it has become more costly - with Porsche creatively manipulating page after page of their labyrinth-like option list to concoct even more diabolical ways to part the enthusiast driver from his or her wallet. And the latest vehicle for Porsche's built-in money laundering-like scams? The "Exclusive" options. It's here where Porsche practices the Black Art of charging seriously outrageous prices for what appears to be a bunch of surprisingly ordinary stuff. And it's starting to backfire on them in a big way. The once-upon-a-time good deal Boxster is now a $50,000+ car (with options), even without upgrading to the "S." And to top that off, the already stiff 911 prices and options have gone stratospheric. So what's Porsche's strategy for fixing things? A back-to-basics, minimalist two-seater that harkens back to Porsche's early glory years? No, just higher prices for the Boxster and 911 plus a $65,000 uber SUV arriving at their dealers next fall (you know the one - the wrong vehicle, at the wrong time, from the wrong car company?). We love the Boxster S, but the 911 has lost its mojo, and Porsche's greed and marketing stupidity are destined to do them in.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:46 AM

Default But you still want one, don't you?

As long as you do, they've got you.

On the other hand, I was looking at a Boxster S and would have bought one if they could have delivered it near $50K but price creep put them all at $60K. I bought the S4 instead.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, I test drove a 2002 Boxster-S and they were asking $45k I think.

Blk/Blk, 6spd, loaded and came with the Bose upgrade...pretty nice but not my choice when compared to the real thing!

I do agree with you though about all the add-ons! However, the majority of Porsche owners are in the upper income range and can afford this, so why wouldn't Porsche do it?!

If people stopped buying their cars, they might change but that's not going to happen.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:56 AM

where did you find a new Boxster-S for under sticker?
Old 11-28-2001, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe it was more but it was under $50k for sure.

It was a few motnhs ago so I don't recall the exact price. If it was more than $50k I wouldn't have even driven it.

It was at Don McGill Porsche in Houston, which is now Advantage Porsche.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

WOW. The loaded one I drove last weekend was $61K. I think $51K + $10K in options.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default hehehe that's pretty harsh but...

under they hyperbole, there's some truth to it.

Thing they fail to mention is that Porsche is THE most profitable auto manufacturer in the world.

Mind you...they have ALOT of rediculously priced options (like carbo fiber trim) which are just totally unnecessary. I mean, you can still get a well equipped 911 for $72-75k with full-leather, power seats and technic...cool wheels...pretty much all the stuff which makes it FEEL like a $72-75k car.

How I think about it is to look at a similarly priced Lexus GS430 (I wish I was a 911) wanna be. You get all sorts of luxo and power gizmos (like the roof) but you get a mass-produced car with no soul or handling or even "power" in the useable sense. Porsche gets you because if you want a unique car like the 911, there IS only one choice.

Remember, if you make a laundry list of a cars attributes, 0-60 is ONLY one of them and on balance, for my list the 911 had more of what was important to me than any car currently available and that's why I paid a "premium".

The press and enthusiasts talk about Porsches "demise" but the market says Porsche makes more profit per unit than ANYONE and there are STILL plenty of people who will option out their cars and pay a premium just because they CAN and want something "customized". Think about what people do with aftermarket stuff (and pay a HEFTY premium to do it in many cases)...well Porsche gives you nearly ever concievable option including any color/combination of interior, a multitude of trim options, you can have the car painted ANY color (match to color option) you can get body kits, spoilers, all sorts of wheels, sport exhaust...so yea, you pay but at least they have those as OPTIONS.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default they must like you!

2002 base sticker price is $51,600...before any options.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:49 AM

Default Well, umm, yeah...

I'm with you- was shopping the Boxster S hard, but the combination of impracticality and price put me solidly in the Avant-If the S had been even close to the same price, sheer whimsy may have had the day. Plus the Porsche salesman was a complete douche- I've never had a more arrogant and careless guy try and get me into a car. The Audi saleperson was awesome.

I'd still like to own a 911 someday, but, well, we'll see. Right now my 356's will do just fine. It's funny, I drove my 64 coupe to the dealer when I was test driving the S4, and I ran into the same Porsche salesguy- he wasn't even sure the 356 was a Porsche. A damn shame.

Markham Cronin
01 S4 Avant blk/onyx 6 sp.
64 356sc Coupe
59 356A Speedster
Old 11-28-2001, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Then I must have been smoking too much crack that day! ;p

Sorry guys...guess my memory isn't that good after all! ;p

Quick Reply: Hey NASA, good point on Porsche...