S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Hidden symphony EQ revisited

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Hidden symphony EQ revisited

Some of us have to go to work on sundays So I sat around the parking lot playing with the radio while I was "working" and I finally had a chance to fine tune my preferences on the hidden EQ thing. It was the best way to nurse my st.patty's day hangover and deal with having to be at work for 13 hours on a sunny 50 degree (warm) chicago day.

Well it looks like the dual-band thing is most certainly how it works and it's not an 8-band EQ as originally thought of. Sorry if this is old news but like I said, this is a revisiting.

So FFFFRRRR parameters it is, bass on the left and treble on the right for each set of 4. My settings are 55889211. Works beautifully with the trance/house I like to listen to and the Bose system which I originally thought of as a piece of crap, is now very good bordering on excellent... but still far from awesome. At high volumes, the bose still suffers from sound degradation especially in the lower bass frequencies which is expected since this after all, is only a 120 watt system. But it's the best sounding 120 watt system I've ever listened to! It's good enough to unmotivate me to install my 10 inch sub... and I'm even thinking of selling the thing.

From up front, the bass and mid-range is amazingly clean and very dynamic to the subtle changes in frequencies as well as the quick punches of the bass hits. The highs seem more nicely separated and sound image is projected better although it still sounds like it is a bit behind me.

Being a passenger in the rear seats however sucks ***. The bass overpowers everything and sounds like total crap back there because it arrives the listeners' ears sounding very muddy. It's basically torture to the ears and I can see how long trips can get very uncomfortable as a result. But screw 'em, it sounds great up front... so no leg room and ****ty sound for those in the backseat.

Well, that's about as productive as I got this sunday.
Old 03-18-2001, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so how do you get to the menu again ?
Old 03-18-2001, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

with power off, hold down 5 and press power ****
Old 03-18-2001, 06:30 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waite a minute. Let me get this straight...

So the EQ works as base and treble settings for the front and back individually?
The way I am reading what you wrote is this:

FFFFRRRR

The 4 F's are [base][base][treble][treble] for the front and the 4 R's are the same for the rears. Is this correct?
Old 03-18-2001, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well,

I would guess:
[Bass][Mid][Mid][Treble][Bass][Mid][Mid][Treble]

Does anyone know what frequencies each band is?
Old 03-18-2001, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes but like jprice said...

it's more like

[base][bass-mid][mid-treble][treble] for each set of parameters.
Old 03-18-2001, 06:54 PM
Elder Member

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:30 PM

Yo! You seem to be onto something here. Gave your theory a shot and it seems to be on target.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Fantastic .... Just tried it with a DJ Cam CD that i picked up today ... million times better. Thnx
Old 03-18-2001, 09:50 PM

Default omg..wait..what is this?!?!

A hidden equalizer?! Wtf, where..how what? wait, what do i do? better sound via bose package? yeah right! you can't be serious. I thought the only way was to de-bose the 600 some extra **** dollars i paid for this package.

better music you say..shat, i gotta try this!..and er..whats the procedure ?

Quick Reply: Hidden symphony EQ revisited