S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Hoppen/MTM or TAP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-1999, 08:08 AM
TurboX2

Default Hoppen/MTM or TAP?

Which chip? Both are have 320 hp at stage II.

Hoppen cost $2495 while TAP costs $1846. Both have chips and exhausts. Is the MTM exhaust worth the extra $600?
Old 10-28-1999, 08:12 AM
Eric

Default Re: Hoppen/MTM or TAP?

The Choice is easy for me.

MTM/Hoppen. After all MTM and Abt are the ONLY tuners that Audi gave the ECU maps too. Everybody else is hacking the boxes. Also the MTM boxes can be ordered through the dealers in Europe, that right there is reason enough for me.
Old 10-28-1999, 08:15 AM
Todd W

Default I have never actually met someone who was happy with TAP

There are all kinds of rumors about TAP, I bought one product from them and it is junk. On the other hand the head of MTM used to program ECU's at Audi. I have a friend in town with an MTM stage I 1.8TQ and he likes it very much. I am impressed with it too.

Hoppen is expensive, but they know that the MTM stuff is the best and charge accordingly. Do you want to spend $2K for something that isn't what you want??? The best thing would be to test out both, but that will be hard to arrange.

Todd W
Old 10-28-1999, 09:05 AM
Ron

Default Neither, its APR for me.

APR is the only US tuner that has the skills and tools to develop the chips for the US market. If I had a non US spec car it might make a difference.Just because they do not recieve help just shows me even more that they really are talented. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-28-1999, 09:09 AM
Phil S

Re: If you search the archives you will find many of us who are very happy with TAP.
Old 10-28-1999, 09:12 AM
Phil S

Default Re: These debates started in early 97, when us old timers chipped our cars, you guys need to ...

Search the archives.
Old 10-28-1999, 09:22 AM
Eric

Default Re: Neither, its APR for me.

Nice Ad for APR....
Old 10-28-1999, 09:26 AM
Eric

Default Re: If you search the archives you will find many of us who are very happy with TAP.

Not to get into a pissing match. BUT.... I too have never met anyone happy with a tap "Chip" mod. Check the Q-List Archives and your'll see that Ivor's "Chip reprogramming" for the 5000CSTQ's and 200's is nothing more that a resistor hack on the pressure transducer. Infact it's done so poorly that the dash gauge reads a max of 1.3 bar at 2.1 bar of boost!

If you want real proof of tap's destruction I have a set of pistons here in my garage with some nice holes in the domes caused by a tap hack.
Old 10-28-1999, 09:32 AM
Ron

Default Re: Neither, its APR for me.

Was your "plug" for MTM not a ad???????
Old 10-28-1999, 09:50 AM
Todd W

True, but I said I had never MET anyone.

Quick Reply: Hoppen/MTM or TAP?