S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Horrible Compression Test after TimBelt Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Compression Test after TimBelt Change

I just changed the timing belt using the cam lock tool. Didnt use the crank lock tool but I was 99.9% positive that tick didnt move.

I decided to run a compression test after I put the front support and radiator back in and I got everything from a 45 to a 170. Other weird thing was that the engine sounded half dead while I was cranking it. It sounded as if the starter was turning half speed.

I know it doesnt have an effect but half the sensors werent connected and I pulled the fuel pump fuse.

I didnt run a compression test b4 I changed the timing belt but I ran a 13.3 at the track solely with an APR tune. So there is no way it could have been off before..

They only culprit I see are the cams being off but I worked very meticulously when I changed the belt... I made reference marks on the cam sprockets as well as using the cam lock tool.

If the cams are off can someone tell me how to align them to TDC again... I know I have to take the valve covers off and there are some markings... but thats the extent of my knowledge..

Thanks again... this is buggin the hell out of me.. its like having a sick child with no diagnosis...
Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

With the tick mark lined up on the cranshaft pulley, the cams sprockets should be horizontal with the biggest hole in each cam sprocket toward the inside. Its should be easy to see if its off a tooth.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shawnoc2003
With the tick mark lined up on the cranshaft pulley, the cams sprockets should be horizontal with the biggest hole in each cam sprocket toward the inside. Its should be easy to see if its off a tooth.
Yup, did that. Im assuming if I was a tooth off it would be easily noticeable...

Any ideas assuming it was aligned correctly..
Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you torque the sprocket retaining bolts down properly?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didnt torque them down using exact specs and a torque wrench... I did it by feel.. I would say about 35 ft lbs. Im going take off the core suport and timing covers tomorrow and look around.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Spec is 30Nm + 180*
Old 10-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks. ill retorque them tomorrow and give you guys an update..

any ideas why the engine sounded while cranking.... its as if it wasnt cranking on full power... I've been trickle charging the battery since I started doing the TB
Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would figure out what the hell is going on. You didn't do any cam chain service? just the timing belt?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah if its off a tooth its really noticeable.

You could roll the engine around by hand and see if you feel anything unusual at any point during the 720°. You should be able to feel if its tagging a valve but somehow I doubt it is if you can roll it over with the starter.

Any chance the sprockets cam loose from the cams - they shouldn't have if you didn't loosen the main bolt in the sprockets but figured I'd throw it out there?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No I didnt touch the cam chain...

I pulled it apart today and with the crank at TDC both cams were two teeth off. I was shocked. I was very meticulous with the whole process and I used a cam lock bar. The only thing I can think of is that when I installed the new timing belt, I put the slack on the wrong area... not by the tensioner...

Anyways... I popped the valve covers, made sure cams were at TDC and reinstalled the belt...

Ran compression test... passenger side bank was 210, 180, 170... drivers bank was 170, 140, 60.

Definitely an improvement but it seems as if a couple valves were bent during the time I was cranking the motor when the cams were two teeth off.

I felt like crap for about 20 minutes and then realized that I know have an excuse to yank the motor and go stage 3!!!

Thanks for all your responses..

Quick Reply: Horrible Compression Test after TimBelt Change